Sunday, August 26, 2007

September Joys



As the summer begins to come to an end and thoughts of classes return, I tend to get excited about home-baked meals and fresh cookies from the oven. I love to smell the autumn leaves and to burn a candle in the living room. I love the warmth of my fireplace and the sense of home when everyone is in for the day and relaxing together in the living room either reading or watching TV.



But I do feel sadness for the loss of morning and evening light. I crave the sun all year long and love the summer hours of light and warmth from the sun. I miss barbecues. I know I will miss the idea of staying up late and getting up early, and I despise going out at night in the fall and winter. I will miss having a cup of coffee on my porch, listening to the world wake up and watching my girls begin to explore the world. I will miss fireflies and open windows. I will miss complaining about how hot it is and just being home with my girls, my boys, my husband and my home. I will miss my boys because my oldest is in Nicaragua and my youngest is at U of Rochester.



However, I do love what I do and I look forward to a new batch of freshmen walking through my door. I love teaching Fahrenheit 451 for the first time. Again. I love watching To Kill A Mockingbird be absorbed. Again and again. I love the visits from my old students and even seeing some of my fellow teachers! ;-) I look forward to getting to know all new students and possibly helping them to clarify who they are and what direction they want to head towards.



What will you miss? What do you look forward to?

4 comments:

Alexis said...

1) The thing I will miss most about summer is swimming and being able to sleep till 12:00. During the school year I have to wake up at 6:00-6:30, which is ridiculous. Also, because it's getting colder I won't be able to go swimming anymore:( The only thing I'm really looking forward to this year is having Art all year instead of just a 1/4 of the year like we had in 8th grade.

2)The news story that has interested me most recently was when the two teenagers from APHS got arrested and some students were protesting because the cops were using excessive force. The students were apparently punished, not for protesting, but for skipping class. That is obviously just an excuse so the school can punish them for the bad publicity.

Neil said...

I shall miss the glory days of summer vacation. I really didnt do anything but I
shall still miss it. I was only really playing video games, reading books, and plotting the untimely demise of my new evil neighbors. They mowed through scores of reeds and took the blueberry plants on our property...AND LEFT GIANT EMPTY HOLES OF SUFFERING IN THEIR WAKE! They shall pay for this crime, and not in cash!
I am looking forward to hours of grueling homework, projects designed to test our will, and essays of soul devouring. Ah, well. It can't be helped. I shall await the next vacation with baited breath. So long for now!

Holly said...

Holly:
I will miss Sara a lot. She's sitting on me right now. We had tons of fun hanging out all summer. Nick says she's EXTREMELY WEIRD. This summer, I also went to Utah for a visit with my cousins. I miss them a ton already. While we were there, we made a movie together called Monster. It's really funny, but kind of cheesey. Also, I went to camp with a couple friends and my sister, Amanda. This was Amanda's last year(she's an old lady).:(. I met a ton of great friends from Japan, Brasil, Korea, and England. I also played a lot of "futbol". my family and I went camping in VT quite a few times. This summer was a blast- I'll miss it all!

Although I'll miss summer, I'm kind of looking forward to this schoolyear. I'm in tennis, art club, and Bible club, aussi. Youth group started last Friday(so much fun!) and I'm going to visit Amanda at college this weekend for sibling weekend. I can't wait! Sara has to type her response now and we're running out of time.Now over to Seney...


SARA'S RESPONSE

This summer was a lot of fun. I will miss a lot of things about summer. One thing I'll miss is staying up late and sleeping in. I'll also miss not having a lot of homework; that was always a reliever. I'll miss being able to just hang around the house in my pj's until two o'clock. I got together with Holly a lot over the summer. Since I'm back in school, I get a lot of homework now. Because of that, I can't get together with her as often. This summer I went to Georgia to visit my Babcie (grandma in Polish) and Grandpa. I don't get to see them a lot, so it was really nice to see them again. I also went to Monticello this summer. That was a breathtaking experience. I'll miss the family gatherings and family vacations. I'll miss the sound of our wind chimes in the wind as I'm laying on the couch. It's so relaxing.

Chelsea M. said...

I will miss alot during this school year. I will miss swimming in my pool and having all that free time with nothing to worry about. I will also miss the non-stressful days and having no homework. Most of all I will miss being able to choose what I want to do instead of being forced to sit in a desk for hours a day.