Friday, October 5, 2007

What ways do you learn best?

Today you are going to work on a learning styles questionnaire.

First, you will answer all of the questions;
second, submit you answers;
third, print off the results;
then, click on the link for "Learning Style Descriptions."

When you have read over your learning style descriptions, consider whether or not you feel these descriptions are true. Write a COMMENT to this posting by clicking on the 'comments' button. Do NOT post your own post. You may read over other student's answers. In your response tell me whether you 1-) feel as though the learning style you were deemed is accurate; 2-) did any of the suggestions as to how to 'help yourself' make you think "Hey, that's an idea, I will try that!"

Here is the site http://www.engr.ncsu.edu/learningstyles/ilsweb.html. Cut and paste it in.

I scored a 7 as an active learner. I think this has changed for me over the years. I think I used to be a more reflective learner, but now I seem to have to do something to actually keep it in my head. I think the suggestions for this one are okay-but I still find I am much more comfortable studying by myself.

I scored a 9 for being intuitive. Hmm. I supppose as an English teacher, this doesn't suprise me too much-I love to analyze and see the Big Picture. :-) I am not much for little details.

I scored a 3 for verbal. This is a suprise for me. I am not sure if this is from reading too many little kid books or what, but I do like to see diagrams and I like to be shown outlines and overviews.However, I would have thought I was more of a verbal learner.

Lastly, I scored a 5 for global. This doesn't suprise me too much, although I would have thought I would have had a stronger score for global, I don't tend to do things in order. Although, once again, as I get older I seem to need to do things in order or I forget to do them! Summer Assignments--ahhh!

I found this survery to be interesting. I do think the suggestions are a bit helpful (hence me making YOU do it), but I think we should keep in mind that somedays we lean more towards one type of learning, other days towards another . . . and that is okay. I found it interesting to learn of new ways to learn!

Enjoy! Have a wooonderful weekend!
Mrs. Gaboury

47 comments:

Tyler said...

I always have trouble with these quizzes. It is hard to decide which is "more correct" on many of the questions.

My Scores were as follows
Reflective: 11
Sensible: 1
Verbal: 1
Sequential: 1

I would have to say that my scores do represent me, which is odd because these types of tests usually don't.

The tip to reflective people is something I already do, and everything else I read is pretty much irrelevant due to my apparent "balanced" nature.

I do agree, almost blindly, with the reflective tip. If one takes time to think about something and practices it by applying it to other situations, a better understanding can be achieved.

Good tips!

-Tyler

jimmy said...

I got a 5 as an active learner. I think this is true because I get really really bored. I also got a 1 as as intuitive learner. I think this is true also because I get points on quizes and test taken away for not checking the soultiopn and not reading the problem carefuly enough. I also got a 9 as a visual learner. This is also true becuase I do not fully under stand material when the teacher stands up and talks and talks. I also got a 1 as a sequentail learner. This is kind of true but it also is not because it depends on what I am learning.

Robert said...

My scores are

Active 3
Intuitive 7
Verbal 5
Global 1

These scores represent me fairly well because I tend to be more introverted and can for some reason mantain random pieces of information I hear.

Anonymous said...

My score:
Active 7
Sensible 1
Visable 7
Sequential 5

I like taking quizzes to figure out what I'm like. I think these results are pretty accurate. I like to learn by doing things and I like to see charts and diagrams to help with what I'm learning. To do things in steps also helps me, it makes sense. I think I will use the advice the website gave be on being a better sequential learner. It says to go to a teacher and ask them to fill in what you didnt get and fill in the blanks. These scores are pretty accurate.

kristin said...

These types of quizes are hard for me to pick just one answer because usually more than one applies to me.

my scores are...

Active: 9
Sensible: 9
Visual: 7
Sequntial: 5


I think that I really am a visul learner because i cant sit around and listen all day i start to day dream of think about different things.

I also like to be active and learn hands-on. Its easier for me to matain the information. Hearing words thrown at me makes me confused and i dont get a high grade in that class.


I like to be acurate. To be accurate i need to be sequential.

Im surprised that i had such a high score for sensible because sometimes i dont use my common sense.

A FAZ said...

This types of surveys or quiz's usually do not apeal to me. Me being as stubborn as I am believe i know myself quite well and do not need to be told how i learn, although sometimes it is interesting to find out.

My scores were:
Active: 7
Sensible: 5
Visual: 5
Sequential: 1

These scores actually represent myself quite accuaratly. I was not surprised that I turned out to be an active learner becuase I always prefer getting up to participate in labs or projects. I find that doing this provides a memory that i can look back on and almost visualize what i did or leanred.

I am also not to surpised i have a preference for sensable and visual learning but am not set on learning this way. I deffiantly prefer learning one way but learning with other techniques does not bother me. I am pretty open when it comes to how im taught and i think it mostly depends on the teacher and how well they can relate the topic to real life for me.

Overall this survey was very accuarate to my learning stagies. I have enjoyed learning about myself even thouhg i typically do not. Blog time is great...hope it continues.

Andrew

Katie said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Alexis said...

My results reflective my learning style fairly well. I scored 1 as an active learner. This is unsurprising, I understand things better when I do them, but I'm also able to comprehend them if a think about things.

I'm somewhat surprised that I scored a five as an intuitive learner. I don't really have a preference between learning theories and ideas to solid facts. Also, math is one of my best subjects, and it deals with facts and problems that have only one right answer.

I scored a five as a visual learner, this isn't surprising at all. I love art, and I've always understood things better after seeing a picture or chart. Also I can usually remember people's faces better than their names.

I've always been able to find the solutions to problems easily, though I sometimes stuggle explaining how I found my answer. This explains why I recieved a 3 as a global learner.

Overall the survey was accurate. The only thing I disliked about it was that there were only 2 possible answers for each question.

Zack said...

My scores were as follows:

Active:1
Sensing:5
Visible:1
Sequential:3

My score for active doesn't surpise me. I have always learned better by doing than thinking about something.
My score for sensing doesn't surprise me either. Unless I see how learning something will help me in the real world, I don't really take it in.
Visible is no surprise as well. i really do think that I learn better by seeing because I don't get as good gcrades in classes liek English and rewdaing that use verbal instructions as I do in math and science that use visble instructions.
MY SEQUENTIAL SCORE DOES SURPRISE ME. i REALLY DON'T THINK THAT i am asequential learner. I am very unorganized and haven't been neat since i wsa about 2.

that's it
happy learning :-)

Tucci said...

I think that some of my scores are accurate, but others arn't. It's probably because I either agree with both answers or niether. My scores were: Active 5; Intuitive 1; Visual 9; Global 3.

I think that my Active score is somewhat accurate. I enjoy doing something with what I have learned because I get bored, but sometimes I perfer just to sit back and listen.

I think that my Intuitive score is also correct because I am a bit of both sides. I like expanding on a topic but I also like lab work which is invovled with Sensible learners.

My Visual score is incorrect because I also like Verbal. I enjoy Visual because it is less boring, but I sometimes remember things better when it is Verbal.

As for my Global score, I think that is correct because I tend to come up with the answer to a problem and then think about how I got it.

Alison said...

Before I say anything, let me make a statement - I really, REALLY hate this type of survey. No matter how honestly I try to answer the questions, there is almost always something that seems completely wrong to me. So I'm just saying - the following results might not apply to me very much.
I scored 1 for reflective, 5 for intuitive, 5 for verbal, and 1 for sequential.
The reflective I don't really agree with. I don't usually think my head off, and I have no problem whatsoever with active learning. I don't try to think of questions and review when I'm reading - it helps me more to just read it all and then review bits of it at the very end.
The intuituve i really agree with, except I'm good with both hands-on work and calculations, and I don't mind either. I'm also pretty good with memorization. But it was really right when it talked about careless mistakes spawned from not checking - I hate checking my work.
I don't really agree with the verbal thing - I think that I'm equally good with both verbal and visual. The advice helped a bit, but I pretty much do what it says anyway.
The sequential part pretty much applies to me. I do like to see things in steps and connected pieces. There's still a little bit of global in me, though.

FRANKIE JR said...

I am not a huge survey taker cause I'm not into all that stuff. But I thought this survey was very interesting because it helps me understand the ways I learn things. I liked it alot better than some of the pointless ones that I have tookin' on myspace.

I scored a 5 on ref. and that did not surprise me at all. i would defnetly perfer to look things up and see it in a book or in some other relible source.

I scored a 7 for sen. i did not have really any thoughts on that, otherthan I guess it is true

It said that I was more of verble learner. this did surprise me because even though I learn alot by hearing somthing. I would think I learn more by seeing it.

I scored a 3 for seq. I did not have much thought on that other than that I would have to agree.

Chris T said...

I don't really like these types of quiz for one main reason. it is hard to decide what answer to select because for many of the questions, i would have selected both of the answers, but i wasn't allowed.

My scores were:
Active: 7
Sensible: 3
Visual: 7
Sequential: 3

I scored a 7 as an active learner. i agree with this because the best way i learn is to do something. if i do something, i will remember it for a long time. i like working in groups because it helps to get another perspective on what you are learning. also, when i sit through sppeches or lectures, i tend to get tired and stopo paying attention. i think the tips are okay, but they are mostly for people that have a lot of free time. but, i play sports and don't have a lot of free time, so it is hard to get together with friends to study.

i scored a 3 on sensible. i agree with this because i like seeing facts from charts and pictures more than getting the facts from text. I like using solid ways to solve a problem. that is why i like science. you get to use formulas that never change and you get to try out what you learn. i also am good at memorizing facts. i like when what i learn has something to do with what is going on in the real world. i would rather learn something real than something made up. i don't like the tips because most of the classes that are abstract, you can't have actual facts in abstract classes.

i also agree with the visual part. i like learning while seeing or doing something. if you just tell me something, i probably won't remember it unless it sticks out to me in some way. like if you make it funny, i will probably remember some of it. i actually agree with the tips and if i could get a CD of what we were learning, it would probably help a lot.

My sequential rating was 3. i don't really agree with this one. when i have to solve a problem, i can generally see the answer before i get halfway into it and then i have to figure out how to express how i got he answer. i don't agree with the tips because i have had many teachers, and i almosst never have any trouble staying with the teachers.

But whatever, they are professors, and i guess they know what they are talking about.

Peace,
Christian

Anonymous said...

The results that I recieved seemed accurate for the most part.

I scored a 9 as an active learner and once I read the description on this I agreed with it. In order to learn I love to experience the whole thing. It is just a better way to learn and understand when you are able to do it yourself and relate to the subject.

I scored a 7 as an intuitive learner. I enjoy learning about theories more than facts. With theories I am able to think about it and wonder about it more which is something I like to do. It is more interesting that way, in my opinion.

I scored a 7 as a visual learner. This is correct because I remember pictures much better than text. If I am having a face-to-face conversation with someone then later on when I think about the conversation, I am able to remember their face very accuratly and exactly what they said. But when it comes to learning through literature and pictures, pictures are a better way to actually understanding the topic. I usually also remember most of the text but diagrams and photos are something that I'll usually always remember when I think about that certain subject.

I scored a one as a sequensive learner. I understand things in sequences and parts when I solve a problem. Sometimes I feel as though I am a global learner, but more so I feel like a sequensive learner.

The 'help yourself' portion made me think that I could try something new, but most things I've already tried. But it was somewhat helpful.

Kelly said...

I was extremely confused by this quiz.

I got a 3 as an active learner. Honestly, I'm surprised I didn't get a higher score in that area because, I always learn better when trying things out. I think I got confused because Reflective leanrers think things through, and I also like to think about what I'm doing if I want to "get" a concept. The advice to actively study is a good idea...I love studying with my mom, especially when it's science and she can't pronounce the words.

I got a 9 as an intuitive learner. I agree because facts bore me, and I'm always thinking "outside of the box". I'll be sure to take the advice of checking my test answers and reading the whole question because I think that could help (especially in math).

I got a 1 as a visual learner. I think I agree because I'm pretty balanced between a wisual and verbal learner. I like seeing things in action, but I will NOT remember seeing text on a page. Hearing things really helps for me too though, when a teacher goes over a concept several times out loud I just know it. I will take the advice on color-coding my notes, important facts will "jump out" at me and I'll remember them.

I scored a 1 as a sequencial learner. I am pretty balanced here too, because if there are steps, I'll be conditioned and I will get the concept but if it is a subject in which I struggle (science) I don't get topics for a long time and suddenly somethign sparks and I get it. The advice of making an outline in sequencial order after a scattered lecture would make sense. It would take time, but if I understand the concepts better, I think it would be worth it!

What I've realized is that everyone learns differently. For me, I learn differenly depending on the subject. The quiz results pretty much apply to me.

Anonymous said...

My scores

Active: 7
Sensible: 1
visual: 5
sequential: 5

I wasnt surprised about most of my results. I know that I am a visual learner, and i do better looking at things than listinening to someone speak for an hour. Thats when i cant even stay awake. The hints that were given seemed like they would work. I would have to put them into action to see if they will work. My biggest problem is in class when somene is talking i get so bored i fall asleep. It is horrible but i just cant help it. I would much rather do things or be looking at things. They are just things that entertain my brian.
- Morgan

Katie said...

I typically like these kind of quizzes because I like to see the results.

These are the resuts I got from the quiz-
active- 7
intuitive-7
visual-9
global- 1

I agree with the score I got for active because I like getting up and doing things instead of just sitting down and taking notes.

I'm not sure about my score for intuitive, because for different subjects I like to do learn facts and for others I like to think about theories or possiblities.

I definitely agree with my score of 9 for visual, because I prefer watching things being done instead of hearing about them.

I think my score is mostly accurate for global because I am kind of in between global and sequential.

-Katie Schultz

Katie said...

Okay, the test said that I rated a 1 as an active learner. I agree with this because I don't liek to sit still in class i find it REALLY boring. but that's only in most classes some of them i know that if i don't stay still i won't learn what I have to (like keybording).
I am rated a 9 as an intuitive learner.I also agree with this because i get bored really easy nd start going ahead, if I can. I like theories much better than facts. I am really interested in the theory of evolution (scopes monkey trial). I just understand theories better i don't know why? I also can be very impatient with test and other things like that.
I was rated as a visual learner which i also agree with because I remember things better if I can see it. I don't like to write out outlines or explaining myself in writting. Pictures and just speaking is easier.
Finally, I was rated a 1 as a sequential learner this I sightly disagree with because i don't care if my teacher jumps around topics. I find I learn better if they stay on topic beause I like to know as much as possible and then move on.
It's funny how most of these agree with each other.

Amy* said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Matt said...

I got a 7 for active which doesn't surprise me. Especially in science and math I don't understand something until I do a lab on it or do a couple problems on it. I also got a 7 on visual which did surprise me, but I guess that is because they asked questions about charts vs. text not verbal explanation vs. text. And with me anything is better then text books. Nonfiction is the bane of my existence.

Audrey said...

My scores were:
Reflective- 1
Sensible- 3
Verbal- 3
Sequential- 7

I'm not surprize by my score for reflective because if im not preoccupied with something im thinking/daydreaming about some random subject. My score is so low because i love to have debate about things after i have thought about them.

I was expecting my score for sensible because i love to learn new facts and im good at memorizing thing. Also i always take a really long time doing things no matter what it is because i always have to have things organized and neat (for example, my handwriting is very neat because if i make one little mistake i have to go back and fix it, so it takes me a very long time to write things down).

I was a little disapointed that my verbal score was a three instead of a one because even though i really like when people explain things in very persice details i also like to experience things first hand. For example, when my family went to crown pointt it was fun to listen to my mom talk about what she did there when she was a kid when we weredriving there, but it was also alot of fun to acually walk thruogh the building and on the beach while my dad explain what certain things were used for.

I'm not surprized that my sequential score because i usually do things in oder with alot of detail. I dont like when people talk about the big picture and then tells you the details because i dont understand what there talking about. But when they tell you the details first you know what there talking about and will be able to understand it.

I thought this survay was fun and it was pretty accurate. It also showed me a few things i can improve on.

SaRaH said...

My Scores:
Active-11
Sensing-3
Visual-9
Sequential-3

I think that this is correct because I am very hands on person. I always like being able to create the things I am learning about sucha as creating a mouclue in biology. Also the visual learning is also big for me. I need to see the things I am learning about rather than listen to a long speech about the topic. Seeing pictures really does help me quite alot.The other two are correct to because I don't think learning fact after fact is very fun at all.

Casey said...

My Scores:
Reflective - 1
Sensing - 3
Visual - 7
Sequential - 3

I was pretty balanced between the active and reflective category. I agree with this because I do need to look back and think about the things I've learned. But I also like to put what I have learned into a project of some sort.

I was also pretty balanced between Sensing and Intutitive learners, but more on the sensing side. I agree with being more sensing because I am more practical and careful with my work, and I'm also HORRIBLE at taking tests on information that had not been throuoghly covered.

In the categories of visual and verbal, it showed I have a preference for Visual learning. I really agree with this because I will remember what I see but not what I hear. I also agree with how it says "Everyone learns more when information is presented both visually and verbally." It really makes a big difference when a visual and a verbal lesson is presented.

Between the categories of Sequential and Global learning methods, I was also pretty balanced. I was leaning more towards the sequential side. I agree with this because it usually takes me a few steps to come to understanding.

This was a very accurate survey and I think its a good thing to know what kind of learner each person is. It 's very interesting to see how different everyone is.

lionsandgods said...

My results were:

1 for reflective
9 for intuitive
1 for verbal
3 for sequential

I guess I sort of agree with them. Since it says I'm mostly balanced (except for the huge difference for intuitive), it's sort of hard to figure out.

Personally, I think they should have more answers for the questions. Sometimes I would be stuck on a question and had to do eenie-meenie-minee-moe in order to pick one.

Despite that, I think my intuitive result was very accurate. It says tht since I'm an intuitive learner, I get bored in clases that have to do with memorizing. I have Pugs for Social Studies and I get bored doing book work nearly every single class.

I figured I would have been a more visual learn than a verbal learner. I always get random pictures in my head, although I can explain the pictures more than show it.

Since I'm super balanced, I guess it sort of makes sense, now that I've been thinking about it for the past five minutes. The first time I saw my results, I kind of laughed when the only one that was over the place was my intuitive score.

Uh. 'Kay. :]

Colleen! said...

My Scores:

Active: 3
Sensible: 3
Viual: 1
Sequential: 1


When I took this test I found it hard to choose one answer. For some of the questions both answers applied to me so it was a toss up as to which one to choose.

I felt as though the results were fairly accurate. For me it depends on what subject I'm in. For certain subjects I like visual instructions and for others I like to read about it. Recently I've noticed that some teachers would repeat something they think is important many times. When they did that I remembered later om what they said. I was a little surprised by the answer to the sequncial learning, I thought it might be at least a 3. When I am taught things most of the time I like it to be taught in order, but I don't like it to go from one things to another and then back again, it gets too confusing. But sometimes I don't mind it. So I can partially see why I got a 1. As for the rest of it, I think it is fairly accurate because I can learn different things in different ways.
For me there really weren't any suggestions that struck me as something I could use. For the most part, I like the way I learn, but taking the test really made me see how I actually learn.

Neil said...

My scores were:
ACT:9
Int:7
viz:9
glo7

I am not particulary suprised about my scores. I prefer to see diagrams and work with other people. I hate it when teachers( or other rather obnoxious students) try to explain something to me in long conversations. Id rather have someone draw a sketch or map or something instead. I like to remain active most of the time. Sitting still and maintaining a single train of thought are not fun activities for me. My intuition skills are
impecable. I usually think things with no facts to back it up. This sometimes backfires on me but i can get through it. As i said before i like to see diagrams and maps instead of listening to a anoying person blabble on aboput something. I alos learn soradically and usually get things after much consternation. I can usually get the big picture but have trouble with piecing details together. This is very annoyin such as when i have to figure out a theme of a book and then back it up. I can usually get the theme right away but have trouble finding details to support it. And thats about it.

madelineeeeee =] said...

I hated this quiz. I was sooooooooo confused. But,on the positive side, my learning styles results were pretty much accurate.

Active and Reflecting:5 (reflective)
Sensing and Intuitive: 1
Visual and Verbal: 1
Sequential and Global: 3 (sequential)

The one thing that surprised me was the reflective learner score which was 5. I find I can understand more when I actually do it. Like in math,I have to do a few problems to get it. Same with science. That's about it.......

Katie S. said...

I dont like taking these quizes because a lot of times both answers apply to me and I hate trying to pick one.
My scores were as followed
Active-5
Sensing-3
Visual-3
Sequencial-3


I can be an active learner sometimes but it was saying how people who are active learners like to work in groups and study in groups, which for me I like to study alone, and im not a huge fan of group projects. It also said that active learners have trouble taking notes in lectures, which I think taking notes helps me to understand certain things, but pictures also help me understand certain things.
Sensing applyed to me because I dont like to analize things and i hate theory.
I am a visual learner so that didnt surprise me.
I also like to solve problems step by step. That is always how I do math problems. I cant just look at the problem and get an answer. So I definatly am a sequncial learner

Stephanie said...

I personally had a hard time with this test because I have a hard time choosing between things.

My scores were:
Active-9
Intuitive-7
Verbal-1
Sequential-9

I guess they were mostly right. I do tend to learn better when doing things but I didn't think I would score that high for active because I like to think things through most of the time. But I do study alot better when in a group of people. As for the intuitive thing, it says that I have a problem with boredom, which is exactly right for me. It also doesn't surprise me that I'm balanced between verbal and visual. I noticed that it continues to tell me to work with groups of people and I think that would help (for certain things).
I guess I am more sequential. I like things to go in order but I can stand things not to so I don't think I'm really a 9.

Tori said...

I scored a 3 for active. I suppose this is correct because I like hands-on types of things. I retain information better when I talk it over with other people, but not a large group. However I also like to think things through sometimes before acting, so I can be reflective as well.

I scored a 5 for intuitive. This really describes me because I like connecting relationships between different things. It helps me learn better. Learning many methods to things and thinking in an abstract form help me to learn. I hate it when a teacher teaches the class something in one way and doesn't explain it in another way. Like it is their way or the high way kind of a thing. I can't learn like that, I like to know more than one way of doing something. Even if I agree with the first way, knowing more helps me comprehend.

I got a 9 for verbal. I definatly learn better if I can read something and see it in words and examples. I remember someone's voice and handwriting better than I understand a picture. However, if there is a picture, described be words, I can understand that.

I got a 3 for global. That one kind of describes me, well... i finish this later. I have to go to lunch.

Holly said...

CHELSEA'S RESPONSE

active 5
sensing 1
visual 7
sequential 1

HI!!

Anonymous said...

Well This results of this survey really explained why I do better in some classes than others.

9-active-this really is the one of the best ways I learn. I am a really hands on person.

1-INTUITIVE- Some classes I do think outside the box. I don't like to learn about facts. Therios for me are eaier to understand

9- visual- I am a extreamly visual learner. I understand stand things better after I look at it.

3- Global- in math I am extreamly clobal becuase at one point I don't understand it and then It clicks.

So that How I learn best.

Dan M said...

i got a 3 as a reflective learner, a 5 as an intuitive learner, a 7 as a visual learner, and a 3 as a global learner.
I think the visual learner part is true because if the teacher just talks the whole time i get extremely bored and dont pay attention. I dont really think the reflective learner part is true though, because once i get new information I think about it for a while.
Copy and pasted this part "Many college lecture classes are aimed at intuitors. However, if you are an intuitor and you happen to be in a class that deals primarily with memorization and rote substitution in formulas, you may have trouble with boredom." that's very true. I think thats all

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
n!na said...

I really hate surveys. I think I can find better ways to waste my time. But anywho, this is work none the less.
So my scores are as follows :
Active - 7
Sensing - 1
Verbal - 1
Sequential - 3
For the most part I'm really balanced. I wasn't too surprised by the results since I think I know myself pretty well. I enjoy doing activities after I learn something or do an activity to learn something new. I was pretty balanced with sensing and intuitive. I tend to trust conrete facts more than theories. Visual and verbal was balanced too. I think of myself as more of a verbal learner. I tend to remember things people say more than things I see. Sequentional is completely true. I understand things way easyier if they're taught to me in order.I'm not one of those kids who just click and get it.
So there's my brain in a nutshell :DDD

Sadie said...

These types of tests for me are kinda hard,cause sometimes it's hard to choose what's most like me.
But here's what I got......

1 as an active learner
9 as an intuitive learner
7 as a visual learner
3 as a global learner

I think the result I got for the first one(1 active)is accurate.My score is in the middle saying that I'm both a reflective and active learner and thats true.I like to think on things but I also like "to see how it works".I also dont mind working by myself or with others...just as long as we get along =3

The 2nd result I got was also very accurate(9 intuitive).I like to learn the facts about something, but I rlly love to look at all the possibilities of something.Just plain old facts to me is boring,but when u look at all the possibilities,it's more interesting.

K,for result #3(7 visual).My 3rd result was kinda accurate.I mean it's alot easier to remember something when I see it,but it's also easier when something explains it in words.

K,last one =](3 global).K, this result is very accurate.I sometimes follow steps to solve something,but mostly I get the answer or the big picture then have a hard time explaining what I did.I hate having to explain what I did,cause it's hard to put into words,I kno wat I did in my head,butI just cant tell you -_-'

Well thats it,byez =3

NIrwin said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Anonymous said...

for the set of questions i scored a 1 to reflective learners. i can somewhat agree to these things but what i dont agree with is how its hard for someone to take notes. i like taking notes and find it easy thats why i like it. i dont really like to study but when i do i like to study by myself. i also like to work in a group then to work by myself because you can compare your answers with someone.


my second score was3 for sensing learners. i agree with what this has to say about my learning because i am better with hands on and i like to work slow because alot of the time i dont really understand some or most of my problems i also dont like learning things that will not be useful to me in the real world.



my third answer was 5 for visual learners. i belive that i learn better with things infront of me and then later when i do my homework i can picture it in my head and remember how you do the problem.



my last score is 3 for sequential learners. i also think this is true about my learning because i take a longer time to get a problem done because i make sure that i understand the problem before moving onto another one. When i learn i have to be taught step by step because i dont understand problems very quickly.


i found this survey to be someone unhelpful because i knew some of my learnings but not all of them.

Anonymous said...

That survey was long but oh well its for a good cause.

My score:

Active: 5
Sensing: 3
Visual: 5
sequentail: 1

I think this is because i am a good student and i like to learn sometimes i like it more when the teacher makes classes fun because no one likes a boring class. I respect the teachers so far and i think they earned a little respect from us I mean if you had a cool thing to say and no one was listening would you like? I know i wouldn't, so if you like getting respected then you need to respect that other person. I also like it when the teacher use verbal themes as well as picture ones too, becaus eits no so plain and boring, and i like when there are colors in the diagrams and i like when the teachers says things and makes them easy to understand.

Thats it Goodnight.

NIrwin said...

ACT=7
INT=7
VIS=11
SEQ=3


I am a visual learner wich i think is true becasue if the teacher talks the whole time like in a couple of my clases i tend to zone or get a pierce of paper and draw the whole class and not here a thing that the teacher was saying. I am also a very intuitive learner which means i have a real problem with boredem. Any of my friends will tell u its true! :D

Anonymous said...

I got a 1 for a Reflective learner. I believe this is true because sometimes when I don't get something right away, I need to stop and think about the problem. If I do that I can get the problem best and solve it better. Other times I am an Active learner, sometimes it definantly needs to be hands-on for me to get the whole thing right, and then do the problem.
I got a 9 as an Intuitive learner. I was a little surprised but after I read the explanation I started to think it was right. I don't like routine things in classes and memorizing certain formulas or calculations. I like to think of different ways to do problems rather than use the same calculation or formula all the time. You could say I'm a person who thinks "Outside of the box" rather than "inside." Also, tests don't bother me that much since if I don't know one way to do something I find out another way. I do have to be sensible sometimes though. If I can't think of a different way to do a problem I need to have a back-up calculation or formula that is proven to work.
I got a 7 on Visual learner which I think is very true. If I can see a problem being done, I can remember the process in my head and then do it when I need to. If somebody told me how to do a problem without showing me I wouldn't get it right away. Usually the words get all jumbled up in my head and I get confused. @_@ If this happens I need to sit down and think of how to put the process given in words, onto paper. This tends to take a long time and annoys me. =P
Finally I got a 5 on Global Learner. A Global learner is definantly me. Usually when someone is explaining to the class the details and facts of how to do a problem or something I'm partly listening and then sometimes thinking about something else. Then when the teacher pulls out a worksheet or packet to do out of nowhere Im literally like..."huh?" and then I start to remember what happened while I was daydreaming and start doing all the problems without really knowing how. If anyone ever asked me how I did it I would have plenty difficulty explaining it. Explaining things isn't my forte'.

Thats it. =)

Chris said...

Okay, so none of you know me (except Mrs. Gaboury), but I felt since some of you read my blog, that I'd comment on yours. I took this quiz as well, and here are my scores. I scored a 1 towards a reflective learner, and 9 towards intuitive, and 9 towards verbal,a nd a 1 towards global. I'm pretty sure this just means that I certainly chose the right college, and that I'm in the right study abroad program for my type. My college is very much a relfective place, while here in Nicragua much of the learning has to do with going out and doing things. At the same time, much of our learning here is verbal and intuitive, much like the learning I get from Bennington College, so that helps very much. Anyway, sorry to intrude, and I hope this adds to the discussion.

Amy* said...

I do find it hard to answer the question on this kind of test. For a lot of the questions I want to answer BOTH. However, I do find them relatively helpful to help me learn the best.

I scored a 3 for being an active learner. I would have guessed that I was more in the middle and was both an active and reflective learner. I do like to think about things before I do them, but I don't want to talk about things forever. I like handling things and seeing for myself how they work. When, studying for tests, I'd rather ask and answer questions or make it into a game than just read over the material. Things also make more sense if I get up and experience them, instead of just reading the material. So, I guess that would make me seem more of an active learner.

I scored a 3 for sensing. I definitely think that I am in the middle for this one. Sometimes, I like learning clear cut facts, but other times I want to think about things and discovering new solutions. It depends on what the material is, as well as how I feel that day. Sometimes, I want to just answer questions and be done, while other times I don't mind thinking things through. For example, I like seeing the connection to the real world for math problems. However, I enjoy things that are psychological that you have to think about and figure out. I do agree that I would rather be tested on something that was clearly stated in class rather than have something that I have to think about and apply concepts to.

I am an 11 for a visual learner. I agree with this score. I understand a chart better than I understand a paragraph. I also like making things neat, so that everything is easy to read. I like the suggestion on the website to make charts and I also like the idea to highlight things to put them into groups.

I got a 3 for global. I am not quite sure that I apply to this. I would have thought that I do things I order. I do find that sometimes on tests, I jump around on the questions, but I don’t think that is what this is talking about. I usually find that I understand things the best if I think about one topic at a time and then move on to another, and do each in some sort of order.

From this test, I learned that for the most part, I learn in different ways for different subjects. I like diversity. I will try to take the suggestions from this test and use them in real life.

Brittany said...

Brittany

I feel that this test showed how I think I really learn. I agree with most of my results.

My scores:

Active-1
Sensible-3
Visual-9
Sequential-1

I agree with my result for visual the most. I think I learn more if I see something that just read something. But I thought I would get a higher active score because I also learn better if I try and perform something than just read but I only got a 1. I also agree with being a sequentail learner becasue I just can't jump from topic to topic and learn. I have to stay on one topic at a time. I think my sensible score is good because I learn it better and try to understand it better if I know it is something I will use in real life.

Holly said...

Seney's Response

I feel that this test was a good idea. I agree with most of my scores.

Active: 3
Intuitive: 5
Visual: 7
Sequential: 1

I do feel like I learn better when I actually do it. For example, in science classes I found myself better understanding concepts after doing a lab on it.

I do think I am an intuitive learner. I like to think outside the box. I like to think beyond what is being discussed and discover some new possibilites.

I knew before I took this test that I'm a visual learner. When taking tests, not only do I remember what was said, but also what was on review sheets. I can actually see the entire paper in my head sometimes and know what was written. A lot of the times I need to see a demonstration to actually grasp the concept.

I do think I am a sequential learner most of the time. I like to learn things in steps. It helps me understand all the little details, so in the end, I can put the pieces together. I do learn things in "jumps" sometimes. I also find myself suddenly "getting it." That's probably why I'm only a 1.

Overall, I agree with the test results. The way I learn depends on many things, such as the subject and sometimes even how my day is going.

~Sara Seney

Kyle G said...

In dealing with these types of tests I usually do not agree with the results, but dealing with this test I did.

I scored a 7 as an active learner. I agree with this beacuse I very much enjoy hands on activities/ learning.

For sensible I scored a 5. I agree with this because I am careful and consciencous with my work.

In the catagory of visual I scored a 7. I agree with this because I like seeing things on the board and learning with objects, or charts rather than verbally processing them.

For sequential I scored a 3. I somewhat agree with this score, I believe that I have a process of thinking, and use logic and reason to find the answers. I very much prefer things in order as well.

Kyle G.

emily mackey said...

I found this quiz to be pretty accurate.

I scored a 3 as an active learner which is absolutely true. I remember information much better when I have a picture or expieriences to attach it to.

The 1 I got as an intuitive learner
speaks alot of truth about me as well. I find facts to be boring and much prefer to examine and explore new and different ideas. I've always been pretty good at memorizing facts and things like that and sometimes it's nice to not have to think, but only be told what to do, but overall I am more of an intuitive learner.

I scored a 5 as a visual learner which kind of goes along with being an active learner. I prefer and remember a picture better than the moving mouth of a teacher.

Lastly, I scored a 1 as a global learner. I can see how, in subjects like math and stuff, I tend to learn in "large jumps" and then when I step back and take a look, I understand it. I have, however, always been cautious and prefered to learn things in steps, understanding them as I go. I like to read directions and get frustrated when I can't catch on immediatly.

This quiz thingy was, as I said before, fairly accurate. I don't usually like doing these quiz things but this one taught me alot about myself. I'm happy to find that I'm pretty flexible in different learning enviroments and with different teaching styles.