Friday, October 12, 2007

Pep Rally

Pep Rally

Today, a pep rally took place at the Averill Park High School. This really made me think about some things, even though I didn't particularly enjoy it. I pondered such things as tradition, foreign cultures, rites of passage, and ear damage. The pep rally had such an effect that it managed to influence me to compose this reflection.
Sitting in the bleachers reserved for the freshmen class and taking in the sights (And more importantly, sounds) of the pep rally, I pondered tradition and how different cultures view each others'. I have no bias for or against pep rallies, besides the fact that I recognize their promotion of ear damage and the subsequent hearing aides. As such, I thought about how pointless the things we were doing were.
Let me explain, if you have never experienced such an event. We had various students (Who represented their classes or grades) and teachers who did silly things (Which all happened one after the other) like climbing under table, manuevering around cones, finding one paper in a pile (It was distinguished, apparently), eating a doughnut from a string, and then chasing a ping pong ball on a string and trying to grab it with their jaw. After an individual completed their divine trial, they were cheered by screams of students grades 9-12, the screams echoing in the large gymnasium. Cheerleaders performed feats of acrobatics and voiced uninterpretable yells of school spirit.
Here I sat, thinking about the pointlessness of such an event. This brought me to thinking about how other people not familiar with events similar to this might be impressed. Can you imagine someone from a foreign country like Egypt watching this? He would think that Americans are crazy (If he doesn't already, many do).
Further, this has made me think about the traditions of others. Who are we to judge peoples' traditions when we commit to ceremonies of screams for the not-so-elusive "school spirit?" For example, many are critical of fasting. Who are we to judge the faith, denomination, customs, and traditions of other peoples' with customs like this? I'll refer to those who shun and laugh at a tradition of Native Americans, who used to perform what was called the "Sun Dance." People danced, shouted, prayed, and even caused themselves pain. People sometimes pierced their stomachs or backs and tore off skin. It was almost torture. Torture, like what my ears went through during the pep rally?
This was essentially a rite of passage. I didn't participate as much as others, because I felt it had no merit. I am in school to get A's, acquire skills, and finally receive a diploma. That is it. I don't go to have my pep rallied or to show my school spirit. I go because I need to, because I have to.
The whole event has scarred me, but at the same time enlightened me. I'm hoping it was the only one this year (Knock on wood).

Just some thoughts,

Tyler

3 comments:

A FAZ said...

after reading this blog it has reslulted in leaving me mad and angered. Pep rallies are like u said a tradition. Is it weird that other culters like guatamlans were all the same clothes to represent their tribes. Every country has weird cultures and things they celebrate. So maby people should stop worry about hwo other would view them and just live. Dont look back and see us as animals or as americans, but get in the action and experience.

kit said...

Interesting perspective -- no, I really mean it. Sure, it's pointless in the grand scheme; on the other hand, why not just go with the flow and try to have fun with it?

Tyler said...

Andrew:

You're absolutely right. Everyone has weird cultures and traditions that they take part in. I'm not worrying about ours. I'm simply looking at something from a different perspective. The point is that we, as a society, are hypocrites because we critisize the ocassionally unorthodox customs of other cultures when we have unorthodox cultures ourselves.

The purpose of the reflection was not to insult our school's pep rally, but rather to look at what it shows about we Americans in the big picture. Personally, I do not like the pep rallies, but that does not mean I would take them away from the people that enjoy them.

Kit:

I suppose the would be a better idea, making the best of things. I guess the only thing I can say in response to your question is... Because it's not my thing.