Thursday, September 13, 2007

Missing Summer

I've been thinking about how to answer the question during the lazy hours when I couldn't figure out how to post. My friends and I have been talking about the summer a lot, since school has only recently started and we're just starting to get used to our classes.

I'm going to miss a lot of things. I'm going to miss the lazy days when my friends are away on vacation and I don't feel like moving. I'm going to miss the kids that I took care of while I was a CIT at Emma Willard's GirlSummer and at Dykon Pond camps. I'm going to miss going to Summerfest with four of my friends, finding boys with the most amazing mohawks ever, and using all of our shakey courage just to ask, "...Can I have a picture of your hair?" I'm going to miss going to Slow Jed's with 2-10 of my friends just to hang out, talk about the weirdest topics and walking to Jiffe to get snacks after we finished our coffee. Then, of course, seeing random people at Jiffe, talking for two minutes, and then ditching them to walk back across the street. I'm going to miss seeing my friends ten plus times a week and not seeing them. I'm going to miss the lazy mornings where I was allowed to slowly wake up and the sleep overs until 7 in the morning... then doing it all again the next day. I'm also going to miss the ultimate procrastinations.

This is going to sound really cliche and strange, but I guess when I think of summer, I think of the freedom to be a kid. When you're in school, things are expected of you. "Do your homework." "Go to class." In summer, there aren't any rules besides have fun, don't get (yourself or) anyone killed and be a kid.

Despite the feeling that summer is slipping away too fast, I'm sort of happy that school is here. I get to meet new (and very nice) teachers, possibly learn a little, make new friends, catch up with the old ones... and see a show at the Washington Avenue Armory in December with my best friend.

No comments: