Saturday, November 24, 2007

CliQuEs

I apologize for this being so very late.

Cliques are a part of everything everywhere whether we realize it or not. In school the cliques are easy to see. In the workplace, there are groups based on not only what a worker specialty is, but also there gender and just friendship. I am not sure of how others view me, so I don’t really know if I am part of a clique or not. I hope that I fit into many different groups. I feel like I have manly different friends. Unfortunately, I do judge people based on what group they hang out with, unless I specifically know the person. I have been trying very hard lately not to judge though. But I find myself looking at a person, and who they hang out with and judging them and then realizing that that person is nothing like how they first seemed or how they were acting with a certain group. Everyone will act differently with different people. I know that I act very shy around teachers or classmates that I don’t know very well, but around my friends I am crazy and laughing. So, judging people by who they hang out with and how they act with those people can be very misleading. One can never really know the true colors of someone without spending great amount of time with them. I don’t even know everything about my friends. So, in reference to the question, Is stereotyping ever good?, obviously I would say no, but I would also say that is worthless. One can spend all of their time looking at a person who might dress strange or hang out with the “geeks”, and never realize that this person is the best listener or the greatest artist or musician.

I don’t find myself judged incorrectly by my friends, I hope!!! However, I do think that courage is an awesome trait to have. With courage one can do anything and be friends with anyone. Unfortunately, I don’t have a ton of courage, but I’m working on it. I find myself shy some days and going up to people I’d usually would be too scared to the next day. I thank my friend Stephanie for this as she has opened my eyes to the greatness of certain people. She has also increased my courage level by encouraging me to talk to certain people. Although we do judge people a little, as everyone does, she has made me think about not judging just by talking to me about how her sister can be judgmental sometimes. She also accepts anyone and encourages me (without realizing it) to talk to these people also. (Thanks Steph!!!)

So, I really have been thinking lately about how I treat others. My friends have opened my eyes in both good and bad ways.

1 comment:

Tori said...

That's was a great response Amy. I have to admitt, you are getting better at being less shy. I know I haven't talked to you much this year, but even watchjing you progress in the play last year made a difference. :]