Sunday, February 17, 2008

Happy 2nd Semester. 5 months to go! And now--your thoughts on Censorship. And by the way--Blogs are not optional!!!

Hello all.

Censorship. Is it ever right to censor someone? Are there certain things that should be censored? Music? Videos? Games? Books? Ideas? Politics? Religion? Why? When? From who? Why not?

Enjoy!
Mrs. Gaboury

20 comments:

Anonymous said...

I think censorship could be useful for making it so young children who aren't suppossed to hear or see something that they shouldn't, don't. I like the way music has two albums for each CD, so that one is censored and the other isn't. For me, I'd rather not hear a bunch of swear words at once (reason I dont listen ro rap..plus I dont know what they're saying or talking about). Books are optional, unlike music that you hear on the radio all the time, you can choose to read them or not. So books words shouldn't be censored, if you dont like it dont read it. Ideas are peoples thoughts, why would you make it so that one could not speak? There is a reason we have freedom of speech. Of course you can speak your ideas, but ones that would put people in danger shouldn't really be heard. Religion is big, the hopes,dreams, and beliefs of all sorts of people put all together to make something they can all have in common. I think its completely wrong to take the religion of a community or a person away. A religion based of abuse and war is dangerous...I dont think it would be very good to believe in something like that, but who am I to say?

Sadie said...

I think censorship is very important.Censorship helps protect certain people,like children,from seeing,reading,or hearing inappropriate things for their age.Some things definatly should be censored.I can't imagine any parent really wanting their child to be exposed to something innappropriate.Like some music may have mild language in it that parents might not want their children to hear or a video might have adult content that definatly shouldn't be viewed by a younger person.I don't really think religion should be censored,unless someone was trying to force someone to have their religion.People have the right to their OWN beliefs and hopes.One thing I don't think should be censored is books.Books are an author's own thoughts and ideas.Everyone has a right to express their imagination.Besides,you can control whether or not you want to read the book.What's the point of censoring a book that may have some things in it not meant for certain people if you can control whether you read it or not? The only time I think something should be censored is if it has some innappropriate content and you don't want and can't control whether certain people can see,hear,or read it.

Sadie said...

YESH! 2nd one to comment >:3

Anonymous said...

HA! I was first! >=3

sierra said...

i dont thiink censorship is really necesarry because you cant keep people from hearing swears or curses whatever you want to call them. kids will start to hear them in school and on the bus. You here them on the streets all the time, onthe radio and in television, so whats the point in trying to hide it?

Anonymous said...

i like chicken

Jake Wicks said...

Everything can be censored wether or not it is what we choose in the end. Everyone has the choice on what they want their friends family or coworkers should hear. But this is not what theyre hearing from others but from us anyone can censor themself but cant truly censor others. Things like video games should not be censored because they are sold to people who are over 18 years of age and are mature enough to play them. If you allow children of a younger age to play these games you have no right to censor them because you are the problem. Do not allow someone to do something of innappropriate or immature in nature if you are not goint to blame them or yourself. People who are not paying enough attention to their children to prevent these events from occurring need only to blame themselves. It is easy to understand the censorship of TV. Books should not be censored, because its simple everyone should be allowed to their own opinion andlearn from wherever they please. This goes the same with ideas, religion, and polotics. Music is one of the basis of society and everyone listens to a form of it. Music should not be censored in anyway shape or form, to censor music is to censor originality and art. Which should not be allowed. In conclusion censorship is something that can ruin art and society, and should not be encouraged. Or their will be crazy people, i.e. Area 51

n!na said...

I don't think that people should use censorship. I mean, we are granted the freedom of speech. If we have that right then why do people want to limit our freedom? To me, it makes no sense. And I'm not just saying that we shouldn't be censored because I'm a rebelioud teenager who like to hear swear words in my music. Freedom of speech is one of our rights and I don't think that it's ethical for people to limit what we can say. But in the case of kids, they need to be protected from some things, so censorship is a big help for them. I mean, sexual inuendos in TV shows and in music, young kids shouldn't hear tha until they're older. But other than that, censorship is ridiculous. No more censorship!
[gosh i'm such a typical teen]

Jake Wicks said...

and i like chicken too

Anonymous said...

It is okay to censor someone if it is about something really appropiate. For example you kinda have to censor people if a little kid is around becuase you don't want them to pick it up. Certain things should be censored but it all depends on the age group. Books and Ideas shouldn't be censored because it is a way of expressing a thought of an idea. Sometimes without certain things the book isn;t complete.Religion shouldn't be censored eaither becuase you need to tell it how it is not leave out details.Video games should be censored but there has to be a ligimant reason.

Anonymous said...

I think that Music, videos, books and ect. should be censored but only to a point because you can get censored music and videos. I also think that if someone has a problem with there not being any censored on something then they should get the censored kind, except for books im not sure how you would get a censored book. i think that kids under 13 shouldnt be allowed to censored music without their parents permission and rated r movies. i also think that if you have something that isnt supposed to be censored and its too censored then it might ruin the book or movie.

Dan M said...

In some cases I think it is alright to censor some things. Like certain videos or music. But what I dont think is right and just mean in general is censoring someone because of the color of there skin or what religion they are. In some cases, I think it is ok to censor politics. But usually I dont think that it's OK. Some books need to be censored but most of them dont need to be, unless they put horrible ideas into someones head.

Neil said...

(Before i start on my rant, please excuse any misspellings and/or uncapitalized i's)
Censorship is not something that I smile upon. While its intentions are good, it can, and often does, wreck the experience. Dont think, ohhhh, Neil likes uncensored material *snigger behind his back*. Thats not what I'm saying. Think about books for a moment. Think about all the hard work that went into writing it, and all the meticulously placed words. The author wrote it the way he/she wanted it to be, and they did not intend or want it to be censored. The same goes for music, videos, and video games. Lots of hard work went into making them(whether or not they're good is another matter), and they shouldnt be censored. If you dont want to hear, or see it, then DONT LISTEN OR WATCH IT FOR GOODNESSAKES. There is no sense in doing something that requires you to take out the little bits that you dont like. You what that is like? Thats like going to a fancy Italian resturant and ordering a big helping of pasta with meat sauce, and trying to pick the meat out because you dont like it.
Ah! Another point. Dont censor whats going on around the world. The news broadcasts need not be censored. The whole reason people tune in is to find out exactly whats there is to know. If eight hundred people died trying to cross the Tibetan border(which does happen unfortunately, but I dont think in those numbers), dont try to tell me otherwise. If a senator took a man's life, tell me that. It is your duty to tell, and ours to listen and know.

Chris T said...

I think that sensorship is ok in some ways. If you are watching a t.v. show, like cops or something, and one of the guys gets arrested, I don't want to hear every swear word in the book, that he feels like saying. I think that people shouldn't be censored unless it is bad. But then, you get into what is bad, and what isn't. I think that if the ideas are about someone personal opinions, and it isn't racist, or sexist, it should be allowed. Personal ideas should never be censored, because then you discourage the person from ever speaking his beliefs again.

Anonymous said...

Censorship can be used in many occasions. In some instances it is a good thing and in others cencorship can go little over board. Censorship can be helpful in songs, videos, or games, when young children are around. However many things get censored when they shouldnt be. Many people's ideas get blocked out, when thier voices should be heard. I also believe though that in some games or movies or mucis things get cencored that shouldnt. These also express people ideas and beliefas and dont get heard because of censorship.

Tyler said...

I have mixed feelings about censorship. Some issues that relate to national security obviously need to be censored. The American public doesn't need to know, for example, Al Qaeda's troop movements. Why? Well, if it was public knowledge, Al Qaeda would know that we know. However, I feel that I am missing the point thus far.

Switching to other areas of censorship, such as video-games, books, videos, and otherwise, I fail to see a valid reason for censorship. Gore is among that often censored. What is so bad about it? Perhaps this censorship is derived from the feeling that people get that we need to protect our children from the evils of society. If there are studies that link children seeing gore or sex and bad violence or casual sex, I suppose censorship is a logical solution. However, as I am uneducated on such hypothetical studies, I am addressing the situation rather simply. If people want to see gore and sex and what have you, go for it. I really could care less, and it doesn't seem like censorship in countries like China is reducing violence there, so I have yet to change my view.

However, I would like to bring up something that other people have noted. On censorship in news media, I feel that censorship is necessary. To an extent. If censorship was not essential to national security, we would not have so many intelligence organizations (see CIA). Say, for example, that there is a deadly contagion that has leaked into a city via foreigner. If the story got out, there would be a mass panic. People would rush out of the city without that no-man-left-behind attitude and the people left would become looters, robbing peoples' former lifestyles. Really, some situations need to be done quickly, cleanly, and quietly. I believe that while it is good to know things, there is such a thing as knowing too much. On the other hand, the Chinese government is censoring news from other countries so that people will not get any ideas of revolt, democracy, or whatever. This, I believe is immoral because the people should have a right to choose the type of government they favor. Then again, the country would be in turmoil if a national revolt occured, and that would not be immediately beneficial to the people of China.

In conclusion, I am really rather mixed on censorship. I think that if I were to do a two word answer to this question, it would be "it depends." Every censorship issue needs to be addressed on its own, with all related issue considered. It is interesting, but politicians sort of censor things all the time. Well, they omit things, really. If you don't like censorship, you'd better get off of this planet, because there is quite enough to go around. Darn Commies.

Tucci said...

Censoring certain things is important, but some stuff should be left alone. For example I think that swear words and offensive language should be censored out of music on the radio because a little kid could over hear it. Also, there should be censored versions of games and movies for people who aren't ready to see or hear that yet, but people there should also be non-censored versions as well. I also think that teachers and such shouldn't be allowed to preach their religion during classes because it isn't a good time to talk about any thing but education. However it isn't right to censor books, ideas, politics, and religion. Those are peoples' opinions and they should be heard by others so that people can know every side of the stories. It isn't ethical to try and control what people think and by censoring out everything besides a certain idea people have no options. For example, if there is lemonade and ice tea to drink at someone's house, but your only offered the lemonade, you'll probabely drink that even if you like ice tea better. People should be able to talk about problems they see occuring in areas like the government even if it could cause dislike toward officials. It is important to know what is going on so that someone can form the own opinion on a matter.

Katie said...

I don't think that it is ok to censor a person's ideas because that is not giving him or her the right to have an opinion. I also don't think that it is ok to censorr politics because that is giving poepl biased information so they don't knkow the whole story to things such as a presidential candidate or what they stand for, a law and the benefits or the downside to a law, or andything elsoe like that. I think that it is ok to censor movies and songs because you can buy the clean or explicit version of hte movie or song, so you can pick what you like. So it all songs were censored but you liked a song but it had a couple swear words in it you'd be listening and it would just randomly pause in the midlle of the song and it would sound really stupid. I thinl that it is also ok to censor games because alot of litlle kids are bored and like video games but you dont want them picking up swwear words from a video game. So, you can just buy a game for them that is rated for your age. I dont htink that it is okm to censor books because you can also just buy your kid a childrens book to read. And even if you are oolder and you are reading a book and you get scared or think the book is inappropriate, then you and just close the book and not read it. I dont think that it is ok to censor religion because it is what you believe in and you shouuld have the right to be what you are, but I don't think that if you are a teacher you should be allowed to say anything over just facts because then it sounds like they are trying to persuade the students.

Josh umm... not Sardella said...

censorship is a tough topic because there are certain things that should be and there are things that shouldnt be censored. I pesonally believe in freedom of speech because as a Christian I believe it is necessary to be an influence for what I believe is right. I believe things should be censored ie. stuff thats available to everyone.

kit said...

I think I'm supposed to do this for the Quickwrite I missed in class when I was out for a doctor's appointment....

I think whether censorship is acceptable or unacceptable depends on what is being censored and who is doing the censoring. If a parent wants to not allow their children to watch certain movies until they're old enough, that's their right, and until their children come of age, nobody can -- or should -- stop them (no matter how bugged their kids are!).

However, I don't think that much of anything should be censored from the common populace. The public has the right to know whatever information is out there. Books, for certain, should not be censored. If people don't agree with the ideas in books, then they shouldn't read them, and they shouldn't allow their kids to read them, but to try to ban them is wrong: just because they disagree with the material doesn't mean they have a right to force their opinion upon others. I think the same goes for movies pretty much, that no one should be able to ban them. However, I agree with the process of viewer discretion, because a lot of the rated-r movies show graphics and themes that just isn't suitable for young and presumably less mature people.

Likewise, I think that some music should be semi-censored if it's played so that anyone can hear it. Swears should be beeped out on the radio because parents and guardians can't control what their kids listen to on the radio.

Politics and religion, like news, should definitely not be censored. Overall, I think that censorship is really a private issue, something that has more to do with the individual and their beliefs as to what they want the people that they take care of to hear about. Although I think it's peoples' right to censor things from their children, I don't think too much should be censored.