Sunday, January 20, 2008

2007

I know this is really late, that's because I was out the day before Christmas break, but here it is, so enjoy!!

Number One: Graduating from middle school/ entering high school. I'm not sure that I took this as seriously as some people (no tears for me), but it was somewhat significant. High school for me has been like most of my school experience. I like the scheduling better, and I've met some new people, but it is overall what it has always been; school. This combined with people finally recognizing that global warming is actually a threat makes "The Times They Are a-Changin' " by Bob Dylan a good choice. Global warming is part of #1 not because it has directly affected me so far (except for the lack of snow), but because the first verse of the song is
"Come gather round people
Wherever you roam
And admit that the waters
Around you have grown
And accept it that soon
Youll be drenched to the bone.
If your time to you
Is worth savin
Then you better start swimmin
Or youll sink like a stone
For the times they are a-changin."
This song best fits #1, but can apply to almost any of the things that have made 2007 stand out.

Number Two: Summer, as always, was amazing. During the first week of July I went to this summer camp. It was super fun, but also helped me to trust people more, and be more confident. There was even one part of the camp that made me, and everyone else there (even the counslers) cry, and not just one or two little tears. I'm talking about bawling, ugly crying, thinking back on it I know it was a good experience for me. Though, I do laugh at the thought of what most people were thinking when a group of crying people were walking around their campus. Besides that my summer was a time of rest and relaxation, just hanging out with friends. Also, this summer we finally got a pool!!!! I've been begging for one since I can remember swimming, so I was veeeeeeerrrrrrrrrryyyyyyyy excited when we finally got one. However, it was a lot of work to keep up, and it turned green several times over the summer. Another significant part of my summer was that I turned 14, meaning I could get a job. I decided not to get one, why would I when I had so many other more relaxing, entertaining things to do. I enjoyed my last summer not working, and plan to work next summer, though who knows if that is going to happen. For my summer, since it was mostly just about enjoying things, people, life I picked "In the Summer Time " by Mungo Jerry. (I'm not sure if a lot of people will recognize it by its composer or name, but if you heard it you'd recognize it, it's one of those songs that just makes me happy)

Number Three: The Party. So in early December, my sister(17) invited me to a party. It was a Friday night and I had no plans. I was curious about what one of my sister's friends parties would be like, if it was similar to most of the ones I've been to, just a bunch of friends hanging out. So after much persuasion, and against my better judgment I agreed to go. As it turns out, my sister didn't even know whose house we were at, and on the way their I had to lie on top of two people, on the way back someone was lying on top of me. In between it was pretty boring, there was a mediocre band playing in the smoky basement, and upstairs.... well, I won't get into upstairs, except that there were a lot of drunk people, and some that were very creepy. To some of you this might sound pretty fun, but I prefer to spend my time in places that aren't going to give me cancer, with people that aren't complete strangers. Overall, the party was pretty boring, and it destroyed the ideas that I had had about my sister. I had always thought she went to see amazing bands at amazing parties, not mediocre bands at boring parties. I don't really have a song for this, so maybe you can think of one. The main theme should be fallen expectations, but not in a depressing way, it should be more like enlightenment or realization, or really bad parties. I'm sure you can think of something.

Number Five: Christmas. This year, the few days before Christmas, which are usually spent for last minute shopping, cooking and baking,were, for me, spent in bed. I was a little disappointed, because usually we make our Christmas cookies and I stay up with my mom on Christmas eve wrapping the presents that aren't mine. Luckily, I felt much better on Christmas Day, and was able to enjoy the holiday a little more, this was primarily due to the great number of relatives all packed into one small house, distracting me from anything that would have worsened the day. So this song is selected for and dedicated to them, the song is "Blue Christmas" by Johnny Cash, it wouldn't have been the same without them there.

These are most of the major events that sum up my 2007, which, as you can tell, has been a pretty good year for me.

1 comment:

V. Gaboury said...

Excellent!
Sorry about the party.
10