This is so late that.....wow........I don't know. It's from 2007. The procrastinator strikes again.
Anyway, me verse.....hmmm......well, I couldn't really tell you that. Y'see, unfortunately, I'm not possessed with the ability to see the future, so I can't tell you what my verse will be - who knows which way my life will go? However, so that I don't fail this blog post, I can try to tell you what I'd like my verse to be.
Frankly, I don't think I'm meant for much in this world. I don't think I'll end up rich and famous and donating millions of dollars of charity, and I don't think I'll end up being some fantastic public speaker who inspires the masses to do good things. What I'm hoping for is more of the help-a-few-who-help-a-few-others chain reaction etc. etc. If I ever actually have the chance to donate millions of dollars to charity, then goshdarnit I'll do it, but I'll probably be the sort who volunteers and maybe donates a bit. But one thing I know I'll do is try to smile. Have any of you guys ever smiled at a stranger, and had them smile back? It's a great feeling. Try it sometime - with your friends and enemies too. You never know how much a smile or a hug or a joke can improve someone's day.
Anyway, what I really think about life is that: it's hard. It stinks sometimes. That's why there are other people on Earth - so we can support each other and help each other along. Life isn't always going to be fair or kind to us, but it's a precious gift and we should try to make the most out of it. By leaning on others and letting them lean on us, not to mention trying to help those who need it, we can all make life a bit more bearable. And, my poem for this is: an excerpt from "Dover Beach", by Matthew Arnold! Which was in F451!!!! And also "A Darkling Plain"! (By the way, Mrs. Gaboury, I finished it yesterday and IT.WAS.AMAZING. It is seriously worth reading the entire series just to get to the end of it. The Hungry City Chronicles are now officially my favorite books EVER.) Anyway, the poem (which I am typing from memory) is:
Ah, love, let us be true
To one another! For the world, which seems,
To lie before us like a land of dreams
So various, so beautiful, so new
Hath really neither joy, nor love, nor light
Nor certitude, nor peace nor help for pain,
And we are here as on a darkling plain
Swept with confused alarms of struggle and flight
Where ignorant armies clash by night.
Thanks to 'A Darkling Plain' by Philip Reeve, that poem is now my absolute favorite.
In summary - help others, because without 'em, we're just a bunch of squabbling idiots.
I don't know if this is exactly my verse - but it's my view on life, which is good enough for me.
--Ali
P.S. To all of you who have never heard of them (and that's most of you), the Hungry City Chronicles is a quartet of novels by Philip Reeve. In order, they are: Mortal Engines, Predator's Gold, Infernal Devices and A Darkling Plain. They are simply amazing books - one of 3 series that I have ever cried about, the other 2 being Philip Pullman's His Dark Materials and Harry Potter. I looooooooove these books!!!!!!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment