This is a hard question for me, because I see both advantages and disadvantages to living forever, as well as for living for a limited time. When it comes down to it, though, I think I would go with the living forever thing. I know that this is the odd choice, because many would prefer to live a fulfilling life than a long one. In fact, I originally started writing that I would want the short, accomplishing life. However, after thinking about it for a bit, I realized all of the countless times that I wished I could live forever so that I could see how the future turns out. If aliens really exist, or if global warming will really destroy the planet. After thinking about it I decided that I really want to see what is going to happen in the future. I do not feel the compulsive need to accomplish something, and I would be happy as an immortal, simply observing the progress of the world, and perhaps influencing the occasional lucky fellow with an infinity of knowledge. As much as accomplishing something would be awesome, I would want to have infinite life. Death is not an attractive option for me, to be frank. So, yes, my choice would be to life forever.
Guy Montag, from Fahrenheit 451, would, I believe, contradict my choice. I think that Guy Montag is not as obsessed with knowing things as much as I am, and would rather choose to do something special, such as bring literature back to his world, than to live out a hollowed existence. This can be seen in his risky behavior and determination to do things to correct what he believes is wrong.
Either way, my choice stands because knowledge holds a place in my heart, and I’m sure Montag’s choice would be the opposite of mine because he does feel obsessively the need to do something special. It would be great if I could live forever and do something special, though, you know. But then, that isn’t the point.
~Tyler
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment