Saturday, May 17, 2008

Day of Prayer

I honestly did not know about the Day of Prayer. I do not plan to do anything special with this day. I am Christian, but I do not think that a day of silence will do anything but make people argue. I see it as a way to make people come together for a common cause, but it will more likely separate people.

I am all for tolerance. I try to not judge people, but honestly it's very hard not to see others as different and weird. It is human nature to see those who are different as strange, but the problem is that people treat them as if they are stupid and not worthy of living on the same Earth as them. Everyone was put here on Earth for a reason and everyone has an important job. So, making fun of someone does nothing but cause hurt feelings. And a lot of times the person you are judging is nothing like you think they are.
I think that it is perfectly OK to see others as different (we are supposed to be different) and perhaps not agree with there ideas (when is everyone going to agree anyway?...NEVER). The problem is that people start sharing those feelings and making fun of the person out loud. If we all just kept these opinions in our heads things could be better. If we don't come out and say these things but instead just realize that things are never going to perfect, things could improve. That way if someone does want to make fun of someone, they can...inside there own head. And those who want to accept everyone...well that's just awesome.

If the Day of Prayer came to our school, it would just cause more trouble that it's worth. I think that instead there should be a time for silence, even just a minute. Those who want to pray can, and if you don't believe in that you can just reflect on the world problems. In Middle School, they would always start the announcements with, "Please stand for the Pledge and remain standing for a moment of silence". I think that was a great idea, but no one would ever be silent.
So, I think that instead of a time for prayer, we could make a time for silence, and that would avoid conflict.

No comments: