Saturday, May 17, 2008

First they came for...

Still trying to catch up on blogs...

For me the Day of Silence is not a big deal for me. I understand where the people who are being silent are coming from and I think that they have to right to protest tolerance for everyone. I glad that they are doing something about it. I just wish that they could have explained it more to everyone because I don't think that people realize what it is for. I think that it was wrong for those who didn't believe in it to stay home. Just because someone doesn't believe in that doesn't mean that they should say mean things or stay home from school. It was not really affecting them anyway. If you didn't want to be silent, you didn't have to be.

For my example of someone who stood up for the underdog...
In the book Speak, Melinda Sordino was the silenced. She was an outcast throughout almost the entire book. Sorry for giving away the story, but she had been raped by Andy Evans at a party, and had called the police. So, at school she was known as the one who had ruined the party. She was ignored by her old best friends and was treated like she was invisible. She did not tell anyone about that night. She lives her life depressed, until she is able to finally admit to herself what had happened. Then she learned that she was not the only one who had been affected by this boy. At the end, she finally stands up to Andy and is considered a hero because she had done what no other could had the courage to do.

I see Melinda as a someone to admire because although it took her a while to get confident with herself, she accomplished her goal and in turn helped out other girls too.

No comments: