Death is a scary thing. No one really wants to die, deep down (I hope not, anyway...). It terrifies the human mind to even think of someone we know being taken away from us. We even us phrases that don't make sense to cover up "she/he is dead". Example: "Timmy, Grandma passed away..."
Oh, right. My ranting about our bizarre death terms is not the assignment. Topic shift!
I think living forever would suck. No kidding. Who wants to live forever to see their best friends/family/loved ones grow old and rot away when you're still prancing around but not doing anything important with your life? Uh. No one. Put your little hands down.
I would choose to live in the moment. Not only do I want to be a writer, but I want to do something important and rememberable with my life.
Something great: something that will save someone's life. Not a big heroic OMGZ RESCUE FROM BURNING BUILDING kinda deal; but more of a small, simple... be there when no one else is kind of thing, except maybe on a larger scale.
A person who lived in the moment and did something that changed the world (or at least my world), is... well, actually, I don't know his name. As only a few of you may know, I got into a what-could-have-been serious car accident Thanksgiving night. My family and I (family being my dad driving, my grandma in the passenger seat, my brother back seat left, my mom back seat middle, I was in the back seat right) were on our way to see Lars and The Real Girl at the Spectrum (best place to see a movie ever). My dad started to go through a yellow light and then the car hit. I was listening to music and to this day, I can't listen to the song all the way through without wanting to cry and fall to my knees.
Anyway, the guy claimed he was going the speed limit, but if he was going the speed limit we wouldn't have crashed off of the road and into the transformer box. And I swear, I don't remember any outside noise. It's one of those things where it seemed like it was going in slow motion, but speeding past you at the same time.
It seemed like as soon as the car stopped, my mysterious life saver was right outside of the car, knocking on the window and calling if all of us were alright. We were... physically. The car that got wrecked in the accident had this "safety feature" of locking the doors once you get over fifteen miles an hour. So when MLS (Mystery life saver) tried to open the doors and he couldn't at first, we freaked out a bit until we realized "Oh. We should hit the unlock button".
He and his friends (who lived across the street), got us out of the car and told my brother not to get out of his side, because his side was ontop a hole of livewires (!!!). MLS and his friends got us across the street because everyone was scared to death that the car and transformer box would explode. Some cops that got there before everyone else even put caution tape around the corner just to ensure everyone's safety and keep everyone on the other side of the street.
But, that did not stop MLS. He went across the street in his vibrant orange turtleneck, snuck under the tape and searched through our car for my grandma's glasses and cellphones and such. He brought whatever he could find back to us and after that, he wished us well.
My brother said he saw him hanging out until the ambulance took us to the hospital. We figured he lived across the street and was watching the game when he heard the crash.
I thank him for my life, even if what happed didn't seem so significant to anyone else. But if you were in that car... God.
I was talking to my friend Christine about him at school the day we got back. I talked to her about the crash the night it happened... when we got home. She smiled at me and said "He's your angel, Sarah."
I still believe that to this day and thank him for living in the moment and doing something to change someone's life in a big way.
I hope he finds those words from me to him somewhere... Thank you.
Monday, May 19, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment