Friday, February 15, 2008

Censorship

Censorship is a touchy subject, and why? Because it deals with touchy subjects in itself, things that are objectable are censored many times, and this can be wrong, but also some censorship has good intension and good reasoning.

Personally I think music shouldn't be censored. But that is coming from a fifteen year old girl that is around swearing kids all day at school. A mother knows her youngest son wants to listen to the rap that her older teenage son listens to, but she doesn't want to expose him of the f-word. That's understandable. I mean, it's not like by censoring some of the music, the people that want to hear the "authentic lyrics" in their entirety can't buy the real stuff.

As for videos or movies...this effects me. I can't go see an R rated movie without a parent or guardian...and that aggrivates me. I think parents can either allow their kid to see a movie, or say no...and that is their personal choice, so there shouldn't be regulations for everyone.

Now, the censorship of games...it's not a concern of mine. I hardly ever played video games, and when I did it was Crash Bandicoot and Spyro, the purple dragon. I think that the violence in games is disgusting personally, and I don't know how people find joy in killing others on screen. What is the message? What is the point? I can understand censorship here.


Books should NOT be censored!!! You read what you want, and if a vulgar language, or a topic in the book is offending to you, stop reading. Everyone has the right to think the way they want to, and that includes authors. It is wrong when books are censored. A lot of the time, the banned books may have bad words or a horrible character but the theme of that book is to not be like that character or not say those things. For instance, Huckleberry Finn was banned in many schools. It does say the n-word, and to me, having 2 half black cousins, that word offends me. But, one of the themes of that book was how Jim, the black slave was like a father to Huck, was so intelligent and caring despite his skin color and social status. You have to read between the lines, and some people are just too ignorant to realize that.


Now, for politics and relgion... Everyone has their own view and everyone has their own beliefs. In public schools, teachers should have the right to state their opinions, but let the students have theirs. Teachers shouldn't force their ideas on students and intimidate them. With pollitics, we should debate, but never should there we a "right" and "wrong" side, it is all up to the individual.


Censorhsip can be bad, censorship can be good. It depends on the place, and the people involved. But the thing that should never ever EVER be censored is ideas and thoughts. No one can tell you how to think, and no one should shield you from all knowledge. You have to know everything about a subject to have a fair and just opinion about it. Freedom of thought is the only thing that is saving our country and the world. United we stand? No, all the same thoughts for all people, that would cause us to fall---divided we stand.

---Kelly Moak

No comments: