Thursday, February 28, 2008

Break: Melts in Your Sleep, Not in Your Hand

To tell the truth, the whole truth, and nothing but the truth, I didn't feel like I completely earned this winter break. Honestly, I was just getting into the groove of being so sleepy in the mornings I'll try to put my pants on backwards, or having to duct tape a sticky note to my head before I go to sleep so I can remember exactly what's going on tomorrow. For most of the other breaks, the sense of relief we get when we realize that we can completely blow off virtually anything we want to until our Sunday night panic attacks smack reality in our faces is a godsend. Not so for this break, sadly enough. I was quite fed up with being tempted with (seemingly) limitless procrastination, and what do I see stretched out in front of me when I finally get to crash-land on the Friday before President's Day? A whole week to my own, simply begging me to do just that. I'll pass, thanks.
After the initial hissy fit, however, I have to say I quite enjoyed myself. Assignments dished out for the break were not as coronary-inducing as I thought they would be, and I was summoned to quite a few friendly get-togethers for various occasions. Getting to see my friends out of school but in familiar places is like having a somewhat nondescript dream that I and all other participants remember perfectly. For some reason, you can't be sure it really happened because it wasn't exactly normal. But happen they did, and they were much appreciated at an otherwise boring moment out of time.
Breaks can never really be completely satisfying for anyone, because the mind is just getting used to the idea that it's free to pursue its own interests when it's beaten down again. Summer vacation allows time for us to stop our brains from rotting on our own, without smeone telling us that we have to think deeply. Summer vacation is being allowed to get out of the middle of the ocean and take a nap; week-long breaks are getting to stick your head out of the water for a quick breath before a wave shoves you under again. So, it's always a mixed feeling, being back in the Pacific that is our school. Then again, I'm a pretty good swimmer.

No comments: