Thursday, December 6, 2007

My slightly different cat

Okay, so I have this cat named Willow. We've had him for around 2-3 years. He has a really sweet personality as far as cats are go and often I come home from school to find him sleeping on my bed very ready to cuddle. He has a petite build with silvery gray hair and neon-green eyes. He doesn't smell very nice all the time. Sometimes I think we should give him baths instead of him trying to do it.

Something happened to him not last winter, but the winter before that. He went out hunting like normal on night and didn't come back for about 6 days - that's not normal. It was probably the coldest stretch of that whole winter. It was bitter out. My younger sister and I had gone out and looked for him while he was gone but couldn't find him. It was sad. We thought he was dead. He meant allot to us - it's rare to find a cat who gets excited when you come home and sometimes just sits there meowing until you come and cuddle him.

When he came back, there was much rejoicing. I was gone when it happened but apparently he just poked his little gray head in the window and meowed his high little meow and came in. There was just one thing - he came in limping. In his front left paw (when you're looking at him from the front) paw, there were two identical bloody holes that looked pretty deep. His leg was also bent at a weird and slightly unnatural angle.

After many trips to the vet, we were able to make the assumption that Willow had been attacked and bitten - it was an answer to our many prayers that he was alive! The bight had punctured a bone and damaged a nerve so that the paw simply died. Talk about gross! The paw just hung there, slowly rotting with no feeling at all! We had to have it amputated in order to save our beloved feline.

That's right - I have a three legged cat. He is a wonder cat! He still kills birds, climbs trees and leaves us presents on our sidewalk. Our neighbors (who have a hobby of bird-watching) bought us bells for his collar to help him stop killing birds! I love him and am so grateful to God that he is alive. He is such a comfort when I'm digging my way through Earth Science Homework.

1 comment: