Thursday, November 8, 2007

Freaks, Geeks, and True Courage (a second time)

WARNING: This is not going to be as good as it was the first time Mrs.Gaboury. I'll try, but I was so upset when the computer bugged out on me earlier today, and somehow I don't think it will be the same.
In the world of highschool, cliques are a horrible reality. Cliques are a stereotype, and they classify a person based on their "look", and the people they hang out with, not by their beliefs, and personality. They play a role in your school career and your entire life. In our beloved APHS there are lots and lots of cliques ( nerds, jocks, preps, goths, etc. etc). Is that right? Of course not! But it is the sad truth. Your social life depends on your clique, for many people. The people you call friends define you, and people will make assumptions about you even if they haven't spoken three words to you in their life. Cliques also affect your education. I see so many kids with the potential to get great grades and excell in school but they apply themselves because their friends also don't do well in school. But in the rest of your life stereotyping still occurs. A very intelligent and capable person applying for a job may be the perfect canidate but won't get hired because at the interview their tatooed arms were showing and the interviewer got a "bad vibe".
I don't consider myself apart of a clique. I say this with pride, because I never would want to be typical like everyone else. I am an individual. I get straight A's (does that make me a geek?). My best friend plays every sport there is to offer and wears pollos from American Eagle all the time (but I am not athletic in the slightest way and I don't shop where she does). I love theatre, art, and music (but sometimes I feel unaccepted by the upperclass thespians and upperclass art students). People really don't know the real me until they actually speak to me. Because of this, I hear rumors about what people say about me, and it is never true. But, that's highschool...
I try my hardest not to judge people based on who they hang out with. But let's face it...everyone does. Not just highschool students, but everyone. I've had teachers that treated me like dirt when they saw some of my friends, but once I sat in their honors class, they changed their mind. But, I have to say that I always get to know people. I am a very friendly person, and if someone just gave me a chance, I'd be their friend no matter who they normally associate with. Although, I never would change myself to fit in or make a friend. Who I am, is who I am, and it's not going to change. There are even certain symbols for cliques. The nerds=Intelligence...The Jocks=Big Muscles...The Goths=Depression (or the color black). All these symbols are ridiculous and wrong. In my opinion, stereotyping is never a good thing. I don't see how it could be. Although you may assume a person has certain qualities, you should find out for sure. There is more than what meets the eye in so many people, but they are never given the chance.
Courage is apart of everyday life. The courage to speak up against people who are discriminating an innocent person. The courage to stand up for yourself when someone puts you down. The courage to fight peer-pressure and not give in just because everyone else is. The courage to make the right decisions, which may not always be the easy decisions. I am judged all the time, everyone is. Some of my best friends are people that once thought I was someone I am not, but once they talked to me, they saw the real me. There are certain people that I look up to because they don't just follow the crowd. Even some people in this very english class. Alexsis Leanza (sorry if I spelt your last name wrong) is so incredibly smart but she also has a killer taste in music and she doesn't have one "group" of friends. Emily Rosenburg is nice to me, and accepts me, even though some of her friends (who have never bothered to talk to me) don't like me at all. Outside of this class, Sarah Goldburg and Nina Powers really are great examples of individuals.
My role model is probably my mom. I look up to her because she always tries so hard in every aspect of her life and she is really SuperWoman. I love her.
---Kelly Moak

2 comments:

lionsandgods said...

I love you Kelly. :] this is a delayed comment. haha. We have Art tomorrow.

V. Gaboury said...

Kelly--you nailed it. Even if it wasn't your first one--it is raw and honest. Cudos.
10
Mrs. G