Thursday, November 8, 2007

Sterotyping... Is it right?

Wow, the topic of sterotyping. It goes deeper than just names people are called and actions people take against one another. It gets to the point where people take what others say to heart and it can really effect the way they are as a person, friend, and relative. And even though it seems like there are only sterotypes in high school, they really continue throught life, effecting more people as they spread.

Everyone you know has sterotyped. I mean seriously, haven't we all said something that we didn't really mean about the way someone dresses or the people they hang around with? Even without meaning it. It is in the human nature. However, I think that some people aim these things at people with the intent of hurting them. That's where the difference comes in. And by sterotyping someone to one specific group, you are sterotyping the whole group. Even if there is one person in that group that is not like that. My grandma always says to me that you are know by the people that you hang around with. I think that is not always fair because all the people who wear expensive cloths and are "preps" aren't always rich or are exactly like "preps".

Do I consider myself part of a clique? No, I don't think so. I don't like being confined to one group of people, I like to get to know different kinds of people because everyone is different. I am what my friends and family call a "floater". That just means I float to different groups and hang out with tons of different people. I also think that the sterotype for freshmen is the stupidest thing EVER! I mean honestly, how many times have you heard "stupid freshmen!". Sometimes I think that the freshmen are smarter and more mature than the upperclassmen. BUT ANYWAY, that's just my opinion.

I try really hard not to judge people by who they hang out with, but sometimes it's hard, because the people they hang out with aren't the greatest and do things that I don't think are right. That makes me think that maybe they are doing those things too. I try to get to know them first, but I have to admitt that there are certain people that I won't hang out with because I don't like who they hang out with. I try not to though. I don't think there are different symbols for different groups. maybe there is a clothing difference, but other than that I don't think so. NO, STEROTYPING IS NEVER GOOD!

My definition of courage is simple: When you get to a point where you have to choose between what is right and what is easy, you choose what is right. When you can follow your own path and do what you think is right, no matter what anyone else says, that is when you are coragous. Standing up for what you believe in makes it far in the eyes of the people that mattter. think about that for a second. I think that it is great for people to follow their own path.

Hmmmm... my role model... I dont think that I have one. I look up to my stepbrother because he made some pretty crappy decisions in life so far, but he really stepped up to the plate and fixed what he could. I love him and I am proud of him.

~Victoria

1 comment:

V. Gaboury said...

I agree with you about freshmen--most of the time.

Your def of courage is great.

Be sure to tell your bro (what is he a step to? the deck? the basement? ;-) i think he is real, no?)

10