No one needs other peopole's approval for what they do and how they live. For me, it is easy to have my own voice. I am who I am, I wear my emotions on my sleeves and I am not afraid to tell people how I feel. I'm outgoing and not shy at all so I don't hesitate to open up to people, tell them how I really feel, even if that means disagreeing with how they feel (wink, wink...Frank Houser). The thing is I'm proud to be me, and I have a healthy self image. I am only self concieous about my appearence (but almost any teenage girl suffers from this), not self concieous of what I do and what I believe in.
When people don't value their own voice, they get lost in the crowd. They are no longer an individual. People like this are stepped on and aren't always treated with the respect they deserve. Deep down, hopefully, they have opinions, they have unique qualities that make them who they are, but they are too scared of what other people may say if they come out. People have to take the risk of getting put down because they'd be happier with themself, knowing they stood up for themself. If you can't STAND for something, you will FALL into situations where the absence of your conscience and your moral will put you in a bad or dangerous situation. You could be talked into sex, you could be peer-pressured to drink, you could just accept a cigarette because your "friends" did it too. I get made fun of sometimes for being the "good-girl", but I don't care, because I value my health and I know what is good for me, and I don't let other people decide for me.
I listen to my voice, I think, partly because my mom taught me right from wrong, and in a way that just stuck. I always think about her, and what she would say. She in a way is the little voice in my head. There are many distractions that keep people from being themselves. I think it's just about growing up and it's difficult for everyone. You want guys to like you for you, but those girls that look like "that" have all the guys. When in the end, a guy SHOULD like you for you, what's in your head, and not on your body. Montag was distracted by his society, the way of life. He didn't make his own opinions because no one did. But Clarice changed Montag, she inspired him to be himself, to do what is right, and to try to better the world. To do this, he became an outcast in society, lost his job, was almost killed. But it was worth it.
Be yourself... and be comfortable enough to show the world who you are, if you don't like who you are, only YOU can change that. Many people don't like me, they think I'm too loud and too passionate about things. Well, I hate the president, I hate the war. I want people to know about global warming and the environment. I want people to enjoy music and art the way I do, and not just listen to the radio with those hip-hop songs that are demeaning to women but have a good beat. I want people to stick up for themselves when someone puts them down. Or just have the self-strength to contain their anger and walk away (knowing YOU are the bigger person). I'm not concieted, and I don't love myself, I just believe in myself and I am proud of the person I've come to be...
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment