Thursday, January 3, 2008

The Voice Inside My Head---wait, what?

Hehehehe. Now you know that this is going to be a good blog. Because whenever something begins with sneaky laughter, you know it's going to be good.
So, where to begin? I guess I should start by saying that I have a very...ah...distinctive voice inside my head. Distinctive meaning loud and crazy and insane and wild and never goes away when I want it to. See, this voice of mine, it knows right from wrong and all that, but it looooves to watch me suffer until I'm practically begging for punishment. Darn voices.
But, this voice does have some advantages. It helps me when I need it--at the last possible moment, of course--and I've come to really love this little voice of mine...in a very twisted way. See, my voice always tells me to be myself. Go with the flow? I think not! Anyone who knows me could (and would, if they know what's good for 'em!) honestly say that I am definitely my own person. I'm wacky, and I love it. But...I haven't always been.
Like Montag in F451, my voice happened to change throughout my life. I used to be very shy and introversal. LIKE, WHATT? Yea. Some...well, things happened in my earlier elementary and middle school days--not very nice things. Things that made me afraid of people, things that made my voice tell me: "Someone's coming! Quick, become invisible!"
But then, I found people who really cared about me and liked me for who I was, and, like Montag, I changed for the better. Well...mostly.
Now, let's discuss Montag. What a character. I love characters like him. People who just have no clue about what's going on around them and who are just so hopelessly helpless, but then something totally out-their-world happens to them and they finally catch on to what's going on around them. And they begin to realize, things must be done. In the beginning of the story, Montag's voice is exactly the same as everyone else's. But, when he meets Clarisse and witnesses that woman burning along with her books...he realizes, something isn't right. And his voice begins to tell him and show him that. And by the end, he's fighting against the very things he stood for in the beginning. And, in my opinion, he wins.

No comments: