Thursday, January 3, 2008

My Voice

I really want to say that I listen to myself rather than other people, but that isn't always the case. I do listen to my head first, but I also care about other's opinions. I know I shouldn't and I should be happy with who I am and blah blah blah, but I like to know what other people think of me. I mean, if they don't like me, I usually won't change for them. But if i do something that is annoying or really bad or something, then I want to know so I can change and be a better person.
When making decisions I tend to listen to myself almost always. I don't confide things in a lot of other people, so I really only have me to help anyway. If I have a huge decision to make though I would probably ask my friends' opinions, but in the end it would still be me making the final choice.
I admit it is hard to listen to just what I think. Peer pressure and media hype is all over and is hard to ignore. But I just try to think if what they are saying is the right thing for me, and it becomes somewhat easier. I always say that if the chance came up I would stand for what I believe in, whatever the issue would be, but I'm really not sure if I am strong enough to stand all alone. I think I would need some help from others to get out there, but then I would be able to have the courage to listen to my voice and speak out.
In the book I'm reading, Pretties, the main character, Tally, has to decide to listen to her own voice or listen to the voice of others. The book takes place in the future, where at the age of 16 everyone has an operation to make them pretty. But they are also given lesions on their brains, that basically think for them. But only a few people know about this and the government is trying to destroy them. In the first book Tally turned herself in and is now a Pretty. Her and another group of Pretties do different things to keep themselves "bubbly", which basically means that they can see clearly for a little while and think on their own. Throughout the book Tally must fight to listen to her head and make choices on her own, so it makes you think about how important our own mind is. Tally's friends have to decide if they should listen to what others say (like the government) or if they should have their own mind and make thier own choices.
I think I might have given away some things about the book and put in more than I really needed but it really is a great book, (it's the second in a series, the first is Uglies, the second is Pretties and the third is Specials-I think it's only a trilogy so...).

No comments: