People do not to have others approval, however in our society that is exactly what many people strive for. They put there personal opinions and ideas aside to do what is cool or popular. I know that I have done this in the past and still do it sometimes, but I think I'm improving and becoming less dependent on what others think of me and what the media says I should do or be. Instead, I'm trying to do what I want, what I think is cool and what I'm most comfortable with. At times it is very difficult to do so, your voice gets lost in the sea of other people's thoughts and ideas and norms.
Though it is important to value your own voice, it is also impportant to value other peoples' voices. You can argue your opinion to theirs, but you cannot disrespect someones opinion just because it is different than yours. If everyone had your opinion it would be just as bad as you having another person's opinion. Also, we cannot let others disrespect our opinion. There is no point in having your own voice if you cannot stand up for what you believe.
Often it is very difficult to do this, you get caught up in a mooment and say something that is the complete oppostie of what you believe. You make an unconcious decision to wear a sweater that is similar toone you've seen other people wear, or you begin to act a certain way because that is how your friends act.
One can find inspiration to be themselves in books like Stargirl and Nineteen Minutes that adress the problem of whose opinion really matters the most. These books make you think about what you do and think next time before you make a careless decision that further compromises your voice. Also, just taking time to think about your day and what you've done and said, and questioning; Is that really who you are, or are you just becoming part of the crowd?
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment