Tuesday, April 29, 2008

All I'm saying is give TOLERANCE a chance, because that will lead to peace (note: this is kind of two posts in one)

I have a tendency to rant. It's going to be hard to say all this without ranting. I'll try to keep it organized.

Why people are intolerant of others because of their differences in identity or belief is beyond me. Well, I know why they are intolerant -- because they disagree with or hate others because of their differences -- but I've found that when I think about this it still doesn't make any sense. If you have an opinion, you think it's right. (Obviously. If you had an opinion you didn't believe, you'd just take another opinion that you thought was true.) So we all (and by "we all" I mean everyone who holds an opinion) think we've got the answers -- in this example let's focus on a discrepancy between religious/spiritual beliefs -- about the "true religion", "the real God/Gods", "the only way to worship", etc. Six billion people with different ideas, all of whom believe they're right. Hmm. Well, we can't all be right, even if you narrow it down to a few million because some people share identical or very similar beliefs. I have a hard time believing that one group is right and everybody else in the world is wrong.

So maybe there's not only one "true religion." (Here's where I get off topic.) An acquaintance of my mother's once said something along the lines of "God is so vast; Maybe God created all the different religions because there are so many different ways to worship God." I agree with this statement completely and totally. I think that God, the Higher Power, whatever name you put to the intangible spirit, exists, and that It is far too all-encompassing, eternal (time-wise, space-wise, all-dimensionally), and, well, big to be worshipped in just one way. For this reason, I would never persecute another for their religion if it were different from mine. I may not share their beliefs, and I would only object if their religious practices were hurting others, but shouldn't all religous people be happy that others are trying to find God as well, even if in a different way?

Mind if I get off topic even more? Hope not. Here's one this thing that bugs me: I have heard/heard of some (few, really; don't hate/misunderstand me) Christians who say that hate Jews, for Jews killed Jesus. This is incorrect. Jews did not kill Jesus. The Romans killed Jesus. Jesus was a Jew. This goes to show how ignorance can lead to hate. The KKK scares me. How much hate has been generated, just by misinformation? 

This is my biggest pet peeve existent. I don't think 'pet peeve' covers it in the least; it was just the first word that came to mind, and please pardon me if the stuff from here on gets a little passionate, because I just read some of the other posts on this topic and some of it frustrates me. It upsets me how some people are so narrow-minded and set within their (in my mind, misguided) views that they are unable to see or accept or tolerate other opinions. How can you be so sure you're right when you've never bothered to consider the alternative? How can you be so sure you're right when you've got the facts wrong? 

Another sidetracking detour: And this is why tolerance is absolutely crucial, crucial, crucial to having peaceful and harmonious societies and lives! Everyone with an opinion thinks they're right. You can't convince everyone you're right. If you'll only ever be satisfied, happy, content, what have you if everyone around you agrees with you, no one will ever be happy, societies will always have dissonance and tension, there will always be wars. It's so improbable that everyone in the world will agree I'm tempted to use the word "impossible", and so we should just accept others' beliefs (as long as they're not hurting anyone). 

Another one! (Occurrence of sidetracking, that is.) How is the existence of homosexuality hurting anyone else? What makes it so evil -- is it really just because that's what that book says? That book, that you were told was true and holy? I believe in God. I respect the Bible; I respect those who believe and go by the Bible. But how can you really believe something just by blindly accepting it? Isn't it better to question, to listen to your instincts, your conscience? I don't have this particular moral dilemma, being a Jew, I was taught to believe only the Old Testament. But I know that even if a were of a New Testament-abiding religion, I would not believe homosexuality is wrong. Think of it! What makes it wrong? The fact that it's different? Imagine a world in which babies were produced by men impregnating other men and women impregnating other women. Would heterosexuality be thought wicked? Perhaps. And why? Well, I think that's obvious. 

And so, I get to the actual topic we were supposed to write about: I support and respect both the Day of Silence and the Day of Prayer. I think the Day of Silence is a great way to show respect for anyone or any group that's ever been harassed or bullied, by making personal self-sacrifices (not talking); I think the Day of Prayer is a great opportunity, for people who are into that sort of thing, to come together and worship unanimously. The Day of Silence should, in my opinion, be supported (but not made mandatory) by public schools, as being public schools, should support all differences and diversity. Also, I think the Day of Prayer is another thing to be accommodated for and supported by public schools, as it is a special religious event for some. 

Acceptance of all; Total tolerance. It's the only way to peace. 

And I apologize if I presented this inappropriately or if any of this was too opinionated or over the line; I just had to let it out. I hope people read this, I hope people agree; I hope that it makes people who disagree consider my opinion and open their minds to alternative ideas. That's my objective. I hope this makes a change. 

1 comment:

V. Gaboury said...

I read it. Very powerful. You and James should be writing a peace blog!
You are reasonable, thoughtful and open. Thank you.

But . . .do you have a person or character in mind for someone who sticks up for the underdog--besides you?