Saturday, May 3, 2008

Day of Prayer

I've never been very religious, I consider myself an atheist, so no, I'm not celebrating the National Day of prayer. I am going to, and would expect all students to, attend school that day whether or not they agree with the day of prayer, and to be tolerant of those participating. As far as the school being invovled, I think that like the day of silence that the school should tolerate the day of prayer. If a group of students want to come in early, or stay after late to celebrate the day, then as long as they have chaperone, and the school is open, then go ahead. I don't think the school should really have to host or make large accomodations for the day of prayer (i.e. excusing students from their classes to pray), all the school did for the day of silence was allow students not to talk. The students involved with the day of silence still had to do all their work and attend all their classes (even if they weren't participating verbally), I think it is fair and reasonable to ask that the students participating in the Day of Prayer do the same.

No comments: