Saturday, May 3, 2008
public schools silencing Christian view points
I'm all for being a voice for the voiceless, and I passionately believe that "evil prevails when good men do nothing". If the day of silence was truly a day set apart for harrassed , bullied, and silenced people as described by Ms. Gaboury, I would be 100% behind it. Unfortunately, if you research the "Day of Silence" as we are taught to do when educating ourselves on certain topics, you will find that this day was specifically set apart for gay, lesbian transexuals, and bi sexuals, of which i do not stand in judgment. If our school or Ms. Gaboury would like to celebrate a day that truly celebrates standing up for "all" people, it should be on a different day, so all people could feel represented. As a Christian, not only do i feel discluded from this day, but i feel silenced because of "someone else's idea of a correct world" Tolerance for all view points are much needed in our society and especially in our public schools of which all taxpayers pay for, and should be represented and protected. This does not seem to be the case for Christians, because i have conservative view points and made a decision to not participate in a day that doesn't represent "all" people. I've been targeted and sterio typed as intolerant, and prejudice simply because i protested a day masked by tolerance with zero tolerance for conservative Christian view points. To me, the hypocracy from people who call themselves tolerant is intolerable.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
4 comments:
As I said before and will say again . . .our school and our class discussed the Day as being a day for ALL. Yes, I know what you read on the site and that is correct as well. Nationally. However, OUR SCHOOL AND OUR CLASS handled it differently. THIS was mentioned MANY, MANY, MANY, times in class before and since. You need to listen to the wise teacher in the front and not think you hear and know evereything. :)
Did you read my Call for Peace Posting? All?
I think that as anyone who has felt persecuted as you say you have been, you know how bad it is. That is all that is trying to be said. "Stop the taunting." "Stop the harrassing." That's all that is being said.
As for anyone being stereotyped and picked on for being conservative, I don't think that is why it may be happening. There are plenty of conserative students in our school who did not have anything said to them or were made to feel silenced. I think where the issue becomes big is when those who state they are conservative call those who are not -- 'gay' and steroptype that group. Or when they call the day "Gay Day" or "Fag Day." I think THAT is when 'conservatives' call negative attention to themselves and THEN they are stereotyped. Just as any group is when they do the same thing.
I am not everywhere but I do hear what is being said. I do not think it is right that anyone picks on anyone. But I do think people may ask one another questions in a respectful manner and expect answers in a respectful manner without being called harrassing names for supporting any issue or topic.
Enough is enough.
It is obvious this topic is too strong of a debate topic for this class to handle respectfully. There are still slings being shot instead of peace being brokered. I do not know what that will take.
More than my blog obviously.
You are entitled to your own opinions but please do not assume that you are the only ones hurt by thoughtless comments and actions.
Once again--THAT is the point of the day.
69 students chose to participate in an activity that you may never have known about had I not mentioned it. There are activities that go on every day in our school and in our world. 69 students came to school to represent anyone who has been silenced by bullying, harassing and name calling. They even respresnted and stood up for you. 69 students out of over 1000 kept you from school and have kept you this angry for two weeks.
I think it is time to let it go and move on. This blog is two weeks late anyway.
pardon my typos.
Comp sent before I completed my editing. It actually sent it twice too. Didn't want to seem like I was shouting so I erased one. :0
hey there...let me say first and foremost that i respect your opinion 100%, but i think that first of all, the day was not only for non-heterosexuals, and second of all, even if it was, that still wouldn't mean it was anti-conservative/christian. just my opinion :)
Post a Comment