I know the Day of Silence was created to bring about the awareness of the silenced victims of violence due to their sexual orientation, but my point is that in high school and in our class, the idea is tolerance for all.
No matter how hard I try, there always seems to be some under currents of prejudice and fear of people who are unlike ourselves, in classes, in schools. Sometimes it is caused by religion, sometimes by political beliefs, sometimes by sexual orientation, sometimes by economic factors, sometimes by who-knows-what!
My idea in this assignment was to show it on a much grander scale (not just the sexual orientation) so everyone could understand how painful it is to be separated off because of someone else's idea of what is natural and right.
Meaning: Some people feel religions are man-made and not natural. Some people feel one chooses one's sexual orientation and it is not natural. Some people feel mixing races is wrong. Etc.
My point is also to say let's look at this issue through the lens of something everyone can understand--being called names and being picked on. For the most part, everyone has had this happen to them; however, for the most part, most of us have not had to fear for our safety because of our sexual orientation or skin color or religion or anything. However, in parts of the world--this is real. Every day. People have to worry about their safety going to the mall. Going to a show. Going to church. Traveling on mass transit. Going to high school.
To me, that is unfair and unjust.
Just as you have a right to believe such and such about gays, gays have a right to believe such and such about you. And so on. Just as we have Meet Me at the Flag Pole (not sure how active that is this year) and a room set aside for people to pray for their religion during the day, other groups have a right to do 'their thing.' As long as it doesn't interfere with instruction and other people's rights, that is. That's when harassing and name-calling step over the line.
It is a tough topic. It makes people feel uncomfortable and unsure. That's okay with me. What I mean is, I understand how unsettling a topic can be when trying to balance society, culture, religious beliefs and then actual breathing people. So we all have to work it out and rework it and do whatever we do to come to terms with the topic and issue. That's okay. That's human.
I am glad that people are thinking about it. Even if most people seemed to be missing MY point. :-) Ah, the life of an English teacher!
I encourage all to look at the actual assignment, though. Since many people are saying that they are against this day because of their religion, let me tell you one person who stands out in my head as a proponent of the silenced. That is the story of Jesus. He stood beside the lepers and prostitutes and other silenced members of the society. He did not say they had no voice in life, he gave them voice. He listened to them. He did not tell them they were unnatural or wrong. He accepted or tolerated them. He may not have agreed with their ways but they were welcomed at his table. (He did not walk out of school to say they were 'disgusting' or pick on a kid and call him gay and fag.)
In literature I think of Atticus from TKAM. He stood up for Tom Robinson during a time that blacks were not given equal rights. He did the right thing regardless of how he was perceived by the society he lived in.
I think about many students who see someone getting picked on in the halls and they step in. My oldest son stepped in to a fight because one kid was being beat on the head with a pay phone handle! By a football player (my son was a skinny track kid)! He did it because of the injustice of it. He was also called many harsh names during his time in high school-now he wants to be a teacher or a diplomat-and he speaks for the silenced. My other son did the same thing--though no phone was involved. :-)
They are my heroes.
I am sure that you have stood up for the underdog and that the people you hang out with or in this class have done some amazing things-in the name of justice.
Let me say one more thing since I have your attention. It does bother me when people say they are religious and certain things are against their religion--yet they have no problem with cornering a kid or harassing a kid and calling him what is meant to be hurtful and derogatory names. That does not seem to be very religious to me. That seems very hypocritical and cruel. Not at all like the religion they proclaim to be part of. It bothers me equally when people are in a group that suggests acceptance and tolerance and they show neither.
My idea is tolerance. My plea is tolerance. Just as some wish to be tolerated for their religion, they must reach out their hand and tolerate people of other beliefs. Just as some people want tolerance for sexual orientation, they must reach out their hand and understand other's ideas. Just as some wish to show understanding of rights, they must reach out their hand to understand other's ideas.
I am not asking anyone to invite someone over for the holidays and sing songs, I am asking for a classroom and school environment and then a world environment where people are tolerated, if not completely understood and accepted.
Ah, world peace.
Your opinions are always valued, however this assignment did not call for them (I have known you all for many months, I KNOW how many of you think and feel already :-)). The assignment called for stepping out of your skin and into someone else's for a few moments and seeing the world through their eyes. It called for understanding and once again, tolerance. And of course, writing!
Enjoy the weekend! See you Tuesday!
EDITED MONDAY PM: This week contains the National Day of Prayer, May 1st. This week for your blog (ah! Why do I do this to myself?) write a response to this day. Are you doing anything to celebrate it? Are you going to church? A hike? A plane ride over a state capital? Spending time with family and friends? Being extra special nice and tolerant of those who don't pray? :-) Will it just be a day like any other, perhaps filled with English homework? How far should a public school go for this day (consider Day of Silence, Blue and Gold Day, etc) and also consider ALL the different religions NOT just YOURS. :-)
Enjoy!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
Hear, hear!
Anyway, besides the silly hoorahs, I believe you make a really good point about the Jesus thing. However, things change, and what was once a beacon of hope for those that were in need is now, in my opinion, a group of people led by a bunch of prejudice elitists. Yes, I know I'm missing the point by a bit, I'm just saying.
Though I have my own personal feelings against other groups that are sometimes discriminated against, I see where you are coming from with the whole tolerance things. Tolerance seems to be one of the underlying themes of successful civilisations, as we're seeming to learn in history.
In fact... A bunch of people that take honor's history this year wrote about that in a DBQ, identifying religious tolerance as a quality essential to an ideal leader.
Perhaps I'll step into someone else's shoes for a bit and follow Atticus' advice...
In the words of Yoda, Meditate on this, I will.
Post a Comment