Tuesday, April 29, 2008

Day of Prayer

I admit that I also did not know that Thursday was the National Day of Prayer. I'm Methodist, a form of Christianity, and I go to Church and am religious (not excessively but...). The Day of Prayer I think is a good idea. It includes all religions, so no one is really left out. And you don't have to participate so it seems pretty fair to me.

I wasn't planning on doing anything special, considering I didn't know about the day, but maybe now I will be more open minded, like I should have been on the Day of Silence. I don't know what the school is doing already, but I don't think it should go any farther than the kind of stuff we did for Day of Silence. People should feel free to pray or not, they should do what they want.

And about the whole intolerance thing...
I just hate it when people are so close minded and intolerant of other people. I'm not saying I'm a saint, and have not judged someone else or put someone down, because I have. I'm ashamed of it, but I have. I feel that people should have the right to be who they want to be, practice their own religions, and do what they want to do. But that does not include putting others down. Just because someone practices a different religion or is sexually oriented differently than you doesn't mean that you are better than them.

And I always say that I hate when people make fun of other people or put them down or something, but I've never really stepped in. I have, but not in big ways. I really haven't seen that much opportunity to stand up for someone, but I don't know if I would. I really want to but I think I would end up chickening out. I would be too scared to get hurt, physically and emotionally. I hope that I get over the fear and actually help someone, but I won't know until it actually happens. I probably would have the courage to stand up for one of my freinds-I just hope I'll have the courage to stand up for others too.