I have a book called Revolution on Canvas. Actually, I have the "sequal", too. But it's a collection of poetry or unpublished writing that musicians in bands want put out. It's like holding a writing Bible. Not kidding. I worship it.
I was flipping through it last night and one of the guys who got published in it wrote a small paragraph about how God wanted everyone from now on to replace the word GOD with LIFE. It was to be worshipped and praised, just as He had been.
I'll try to post it or send it to you later, Gaboury. :]
---
I, personally, don't believe in God at all. I used to, kinda... but that's only because the people around me did and sometimes I would need a reason to talk to my ceiling. Not kidding. I think the Bible is more of a work of literature (isn't that what it used to be taught as?) that can be used to teach lessons.
I am more of a fate and kharma believer. It doesn't matter to me if you laugh at that. My dad did when I first told him. He didn't know I'm atheist until three weeks ago.
This doesn't mean I won't accept your religion or want to hear about what you do for it. I don't laugh at other people's religions. I think it's cool that so many different people in the world can have so many different beliefs.
Two of my big heroes (mentioned in earlier entries), Jamie Tworkowski and Aaron Gillespie are firm believers in God. I still follow what they say and what they sing. God to me (this might be crazy to explain because I'm not quite sure what I even mean) is a metaphor. Like putting all of your trust and all of your hope into one firm thing that will get you through the hard times and the craziness of the world. That to me is honest faith. And I'm not being a hypocrite because I follow people that believe in God, it's just that my version of "God" is a lot different than what you would define it as.
---
As to the terms of the school day, I think it should be an option. Kids shouldn't be forced to do things that aren't in their belief system. If a teacher had things in a room that were for a certain religion and if people needed them (ex. Bibles in a cabinet in a classroom or something. Yadig?) or if a teacher allowed students to pray when the needed to, I would think that teacher is rad as anything.
My prayer day will probably be a reflection on what is going on in my life and reading through things that people like Jamie or Aaron have written that I adore and need everytime I feel lost. There's one big thing that Jamie wrote that I still feel like I need to read a lot. He wrote a letter to himself and posted it in his blog on Myspace. He talked about one of Aaron's songs (they're friends, which makes it even cooler) called "Amazing Because It Is". It was basically Aaron's version of Amazing Grace. He talked about God and feeling lost. He talked about moving on from things that could not defy him. Sometimes I need a little reminder of that from time to time.
I think that's what God ensures for some people. A safety, a way to hang onto the world when some of us feel like we're going insane.
Just thinking outloud.
Tuesday, April 29, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
so where is my paragraph??
Post a Comment