Wednesday, October 31, 2007

The Things You Carry

In the novel The Things They Carried by Tim O'Brien, the soliders are often characterized by what items they carried on their body, in their pockets, in their bags, around their necks, on their heads, on their feet, etc. Each of the items seemed to symbolize a character trait which enabled the reader to better understand the personalites of the soldiers.

In light of the wildfires with rapid evacuations in CA, what would you carry? What personal items would you put into a bag, carry on your head, etc.?

Then, after you pack your bag and person, what items would you help your family put into a family vehicle?

Explain why you would take each item and what those items mean to you and your family, what part of your personality/your family values do these items symbolize?

Be creative and not list-y in your writing. The MORE you write--the closer your grade reaches excellent. The MORE thought you put into your writing--the closer you get to a guaranteed excellent grade.

Enjoy!
Mrs. Gaboury

57 comments:

jimmy said...

If I had to evacuate my house I would bring my dogs. I would bring my dogs because 1 I would not be able to leave them to burn and die in the fire that mean really mean. Also I would bring them because they are the best living thing that are not humans. I would also bring them because i would need some thing to like talk to other then family and random people i met while evacutating. I would get bored of my family and espiacly my sister. But if we got along i would be able to live with her but if were not getting along i will need my dog to chill with.

I would also bring my laptop. I would bring this so i could comminucate with the people at their house that did not have to evacuate.

I would pack lots of clothes just in case are house gets burned down so i do not have to go aout and buy more cloths. Also i wouild bring it so i did not have to wear the same thing everyday while we are at thew evacation site.

Katie said...

If I had to evacuate my home I would pack a stuffedd money that my aunt gave me when i was in the hospital w/ an infection in my central line. Other than that I problly wouldnt take uch of any thing else. This is because I feel that my family and myself's lives are the most important thing.


I would help my family pack our car w/ food (one of the things you NEED to suvive), our 2 dogs and my cat,and probly grabe any clothes we could.

As for the other things they can be replaced and fixed. Many people would probly leave the pets and hope they get out but I don't think that i could do that.

Amy* said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Robert said...

If I was evacuating from the fire I would definately take my three cats. Next, I would pack all valuables including my Ipod, video games, and books. Next, relics of my childhood like my first stuffed animal, and other assorted gifts.

I would help my family pack our most valuable items like the computers, televisions, and fooseball table. Entertainment is the most important thing in my life so all of those would come first. Personal items are important, but I can live without them.

I would take my cats because, they're my pets and keep me company. My video games, books, t.v.s, and assorted toys because I need to be entertained at all times. My violin, because it is expensive and my mom would force me to. Personal items would be nice because I love to have reminders of things I have done and the past. I guess I would need clothes because of a law or something saying you need it. Also, people are kind of picky about hygeine. My school stuff is a must even if I have to run in while the house is engulfed in flames. Especially my English stuff. (note: extreme hyperbole and blantent "sucking up".) I don't find deep meaing in many things sooooo, not much else to retrieve that is small enough to fit through the door.

kristin said...

If i had to evacuate from a wildfire i would take all of the clothes that i could fit into a big suitcase. I would take my clothes and shoes because i love them they are my life. If my house burned down we wouold have to buy another one and we probably wouldnt have enough money to buy me more clothes. I would also pack my angel tedddy. I cant sleep anywhere without and ive had her since i was four. My mom bought her for me when i was sick and now i love and cherrish it with my life. I would also take my diamond earings and rings that my grandma gave to me on my thirteenth birthday. I would put my earings in my ears and rings on my fingers. I would also put all of my necklaces aroung my neck. I would also pack my ipod,phone, and camera. I also would grab a coulpe of pictures of my family and my dog that died Brandi, and my scrapbook of all the places ive been.

I would help my parents put whatever they wanted into a suitcase. I would bring my puppy whos sixty pounds with us and i would take water and maybe a couple of tearts for her.

Katie said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Anonymous said...

If i had to put myself in the shoes of those who have to evacuate because of the fires, these are the things i would bring.

I would definetly make sure my dog was with us and not stuck in the house somewhere. My dao if like part of the family, even though she is wierd and rarely lets you pet her, we love her.

I would also bring my computer, if anything, besides my dag, that m8ight be the only thing i would bring. ui cant live without my computer, it is my life, actually i have no life but that is the life i have.


In all reality though, i would bring a lot of my clothes. I wouldnt be able to stand wearing the same clothes everyday, unlike some people i know...

I would also bring my guitar, and my bass. I would bring these becase it would keep me entertained while we watch our house burn down.

The last thing i would bring would be my bird. Even though she is annoying and well yea annoying, i cant imagine her in the house, in her cage cooking to death and turning into a little bite sized piece of chicken.

These are all the things I would bring with me if my house was endangered by the CA wildfires.

Tyler said...

This is an interesting question for me, because with pressed for time, I might grab random things, but with the time I have right now to think about it, I can make more logical choices. I will write this response as if my house is going to be overrun by a wildfire and I have a backpack and pockets to put the items I want to save in. This is assuming that the fire is not yet in my home, but will be there in about thirty minutes.
First, I would make sure that all monetary bills, credit cards, debit cards, and checkbooks were brought. This way, looting and the resulting identity theft would be prevented.
Next, I would make sure that all insurrance documents that relate to insurrance covering my house and cars are secured. This way, I can lessen the effect of the losses by having proof of the insurrances on the property.
Even though much of this stuff is related to planning for life after the fire, I would bring several sentimental things. For example, I have several pictures that I would want to keep, such as one of my late grandfather on my dad's side. His funeral was a particularly sentimental moment for me. Other pictures would be old ones that are irreplacable. I would also email some of the poems that I have written to myself so that I could have them after the fire.
My digital camera would be saved because I can sell it for a quicker recovery. My computer, sadly, would have to perish in the flames (I'd be sobbing, really).
My school papers would be saved so that complications in the future relating to school do not occur, because everyone knows that the school will be the only building that doesn't burn down.
I would make sure to bring food that is efficient in terms of nutrition/mass, and time to rot/mass. Such foods would be fruits, maybe some meats, and some wheat bread.
Most of these items symbolize the fact that I don't like to be in a bad situation. I would much prefer to be back to my normal life as quick as possible, and the little sentiments I have are small enough to fit in my backpack.

Chris T said...

If I was evacuating the fire, the first thing that I would bring is my cat. the next thing that i would bring is my cell phone and my I-Pod. also, i would get my flat screen TV out of my Family Room. also, I would make sure my family is out. Next, i would pack some of my most comfortable clothes so that if i have to stay somewhere, i would have clothes to wear. Next i would get some things for entertainment like videogames or books. That way,
when we were at Qualcomm Stadium, I would have something to do. Much of my school work would remain in the house, because space is precious (yeah right!!) But seriously, I would make sure my family is doing fine. That would be the first thing I do. Also, i would make sure that my brother has a lot of video games so that he doesn't bug me.

Christian

FRANKIE JR said...

If I my house was going to burn...I would get all of my pets out.. i would also make sure i got any important paper..birth certifics..etc.

I would get all of my my stuff that means alot to me..stuff that was my grandmas, or my aunts. stuff that has been in my family for years. I would also bring picture and stuff like that.

stuff that i enjoy would be my wii, or my lap top, baseball glove, I would bring my most prizeed baseball hats.

My family would probly bring the busness external hrddrive becae my parents entire busness is on it. we would load up family valubles.. again stuff that has been in the family for years.

Zack said...

in light of the fires in California, i've been wondering what I would take if i was in the families who have to evacuate's shoes. I would probably bring some personal things, as well as some family things. I would probably bring some of my favorite books for things to do. I would also bring a bible, my creed, and some Birthday cards because these are important to me. Also, my swiss army knife and my watch would be usefull to bring. For my family, I would bring some first aid stuff, and my mom's grandma's music box. I would also pack my baby blanket. i would pack these things because all of these are presents from now-dead relatives. For things to do, i would pack my DS and my CD collection and portable CD player. I would also bring the photo of myself in last year's play and the poster advertising the plays I've been in. this is because these are important to me. Also, some clothes would be needed.

Katie said...

If I lived in California where the fires are, and my family and I had to evacuate the area I would take important things from my house. I would try to fill a suitcase full of things that are really important to me or things that I really need. I would take food and water bottles because you neexd food to survive, all the money in my room in case we needed it for anything, a picture of me and my family just because I think it's important, and I would take a couple changes of clothes. I would also try to squeeze in my cell phone, my ipod, and a couple of my dog's favorite toys to try to keep my dog and I from being bored.
I would help my parents, my brother, my sister, my dogs, and my sister's fish fit in the car, and there suitcases.

-Katie Schultz

Kelly said...

All over the news we hear about the wildfires in California, and people leaving their homes, leaving their memories to burn. These events are extremely sad, but here on the east coast we can't imagine how they feel or how sad this situation actually is unless we put ourselves in their shoes.

So what if the wildfires took place here? What would I carry? I would definatly want my dog out of the house, but she would know something was wrong, and she would stay with us without us having to force it. I'd take my dog basically because I love her and she is a part of my family. Family is very important to me and I also have a love for animals which is symbolized by me choosing to take my dog first and foremost.

Also, I would want to take my pictures, my photo albums. They are my memories, and I love them so much. Pictures of my past are irriplaceble, and I would definatly pack them. Not only do these pictures represent my value of family but they show how much love, care, and friendship means to me.

I would also bring my grandmothers cookbook. In it are her recipes and not only are they delicious but she isn't around to replace them again. I loved her very much, and that cookbook is something I couldn't live without.

If given the time, and the space, I'd pack more, but I know my dad would be putting in his guitar and my mom would be crying and yet trying to think of logial things that we need, as long as making sure I was safe. I'd help out putting my dog in the car and I'd help with anything really. I know my mom would need me to stay calm, and I would try, for her sake.

It's funny how looking through the eyes of someone who actually has to choose what to carry, someone who actually has to face the problem at hand, makes you value the important things. The things you can't replace. My clothes, my CD's, my piano (which would take some time) could honestly be replaced. But my memories are irriplaceable, my memories are my past and define me. I could never live without them.

Amy* said...

What I would bring...
First, I feel that I have to say that I would bring clothes, hairties, money, blankets and pillows. These are the things that I use everyday. In panic I would probably not feel the need to bring materials things, like books and mp3 players, but if I was able to have time to pack I might bring things to entertain myself.
So, as for objects that mean a lot to me...
i am horrible a deciding on one or two things to do, eat, etc. So, for me it is hard to choose a few things. i would want to pack a huge suitcase if I could.
I would make sure that my cats were with me (preferably)or at least able to run away from the house to safety. My cats mean so much to me becausethey always offer me comfort. I treat them like my little sisters. I would also try to pack some of the figurines on my bureau and in my kitchen, just to be able to remamber the house. to go along with that, I would bring pictures hanging in the house. i have about 6 stuffed animals sitting on my bed that I would bring. Again, they would give me comfort. I would bring a cross necklace that was once my relatives necklace. If I could, I would bring some pictures of my family. (Being repetative), they would give me comfort.
It is amazing to me to think about all the things in my house, and then think about how many of them mean nothing to me...TV, computer, bike...although I use these things all of the time, I do not think that they are important enough to bring because they can be replaced. As I said before, I might want to bring them if I had enough time.( I know thatit would be hard to leave things behind to be destroyed.
Just thinking about what it would be like to have to evacuate my house scares me. Leaving things that I have had all my life and things that I just got is so scary.

Anonymous said...

There are not many things that I would bring with me if I had a fire at my house. The first thing I would bring was probabbly a few clothes. I would then bring my very first stuffed animal. Alot of the stuff that I have when I was little is very memoriable to me. I would always like to keep those things with me throughout my life. These things are very sentimental to me. Another thing that I would take right away would be my cell phone. I would also try to take my softball stuff. If I could I would try to find all of my pictures to remember all of the adventures I had. Honestly, I would not take many material objects with me. I dont have many things that I would neccesairaly keep with me. I only have alot of memories. The only other thing that I could think of that I would take with me is the brides maids dress that I wear at my brothers wedding. That was the fist time that I have been involved in a wedding and it was alot of fun.

One of the things I would take for my family is the video that my brother gave me from his wedding. That would be a good think to keep because it reminds us of the good time we had at his wedding and the memory of the entire expierience. I would also take all of the boxes of pictures and the photo albums we have. There are so many memories in those boxes that I would never like to forget. Those are the only things that I can think of that my family would want but I'm sure there are alot more things that my parents would bring as well.

By taking pictures with me I think it shows that I care alot about family and remebering alot of memories. I think it also kind of shows that I'm not that materialistic.

Anonymous said...

If i were to carry things out of my house i would try and grab thing of both personal value and money. For example, I would try to get everything personal first like pictures because my mom LOVES them and airlooms because then have alot of value to my family and i wouldent want to lose them. I would also get my bible because it means alot to me.
Then i would go for the most expensive thing that i could take. Then i would take my personal belongings like my laptop and my xbox 360 becase they could be sold and for entertainment. Then I would put my art into a folder and put that into a bag. Also extra clothes because no one likes a smelly boy. I would also get my ipod and my portable dvd player to pass time.
I would also get my guitar and my pod and my amp for entertainment and if needed i could sell it. (Frank would too) and i would grab some of my knives that i like because there useful and some of them could be worth something.

Anonymous said...

If I were to bring things along with me because there was a fire I would carry along important items. One thing I would need is some of my clothes. camera and some picture books from my childhood, some cds, my portable dvd player, a few really good and important books and my St. Christophers necklace. I would also bring some notes that my best friend Mariya wrote to me.

For other people I would take along my mother's jewelery, my brother's guiter in its case.
For my father I would bring some boston baked beans because he really likes them. For my little sisters I would bring some of their jewery. I would bring I would bring some expensive things so that I could use them to pay for stuff. I would bring my diamond ring and other valuble items so that I could help support my family. =]

I would try to carry all that I could to halp my family and to keep memories of different significant things that have happened in my life alive.

Audrey said...

If my house was burning down (and the rest of my family was safe) and i had to chose the things i would save. I would chose my necklaces because they were ether gifts from someone or symbolize something. If i could i would take all the papers and dried flowers off of my bulitin board because they have pictures and tickets from places i have gone with my family, some quotes that i really like, and the dried flowers are flowers my and my brothers found while walking in the woods or to places near my house. Another thing i would bring is all of my books, simply because i love to read so i love my books. I would also try to save all of my little statue things and my memory boxes because they show alot about me and represent important things to me. the things i would leave are electronic stuff (such as my laptop, t.v, camera...)and clothes because those are things you can just by anywhere and they dont mean anything to me. While i was getting out of the house i would get the bird cage then open the door so my dogs could get out (since there usually lying in front of the door). I would help my family get things out of the house that were given to us by other family members to take care of, such as are extremely old family photobook, a very old chair and the chairs that my great grandpa made, and my graet grandmas cabinet and plates.

A FAZ said...

It is hard to imagine the intensity of being caught inside ur house trying to rummage threw personal items trying to decide what u want most. I dont think u can completely understand how u feel until u experience the disaster.

For me, it would be family items. Things of my child hood that i couldnt replace. Of coarse, i would make sure my family is safe before anything else. after i know my family is ok, I would go for pictures. Pictures for me would be the first thing i would save. This is becuase pictures are something u cannot replace. You cant go back when your 3 years old with yor brother and wrestle, its impossilbe. After my pictures i would save my basbeall cards, computer and maybe some of my valubales, like watches and necklaces.

I guess it really depends on how much time i have. There are priorities that would need to be saved first, but also things tyhat i would leave beihind if i didnty have time. I would most likely choose to leave behind my school work(sorry mrs. gaboury thats including english)if i was limited on time, but i guess if i had enough time i would.Not.

For my Family stuff i would help pack clothes, food, and things of value. I Would take these things becuase they would lighten the load on the hardships faced after the fire. The hardships of somewhere to live, money, and espicailly the thought of losing everything u have spent ur entire life building, saving, aquiring. I know i made a joke about school work in the blog, but what is going on in california as well as just house fires around the world, are no joke. The sad troubling disasters that effect families forever. im thankful i have never expeirenced a fire, and hope never to.

Faz

Olivia said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Matt said...

if a fire was aproching my house and i had a short period of time to pack stuff i would pack my Loki shield handle and my Tyr helmet, my playbills, my cammera and photo album, my iPod and CD collection. the loki sheild handel and Tyr helmet are things of significance at my camp that i worked very hard to get and are of extream sentimental value to me. i own playbill for almost every play i have seen and because theatre is such an important part of my life and i like to have the playbills to remember those experiences. i would bring my cammera because i love photography and i have a very old, very nice cammera and my photo album has some of the best pictures i have taken. i would also bring my iPod because i love music and like to listen to it and my brothers and my CD collection took a long time to build so i want to keep that.

after i packed my stuff the things i would put into the car would be our computer and my mom's collection of nativity scenes. the computer has a lot of papers and files that are important to me and family. also my mom has been collecting nativity scenes for years and a lot of them are gifts from her friends and she has some from all over the world and they meen a lot to her so i would help get them out.

Alison said...

If I only had a short time to pack, knowing that I could lose everything I didn't pack forever...well, I'm not really sure. I think you need to really experience a situation like that to honestly answer. I have a tendency to be quite materialistic, so my answers probably won't be entirely truthful.
I would definitely take some of my books. I would be attempting to shove as many into a bag as is humanly possible. But I'd never get them all - I think that I have about 200. I'd just take my favorites and some of the ones that have been given to me as presents. I would also take my iPod and my favorite CDs, and my CD player. I'd also take my teddy bear, which I've had since I was 1, and which I always have when I go to sleep. And I would bring my middle school yearbook, my photos, and my birthday cards. All of these things hold very important memories for me which I never want to forget. I'd bring stories I've written because I'd be able to think back on them, to remember what my life was like before the fires. I'd also bring the souvenirs and a CD of my photos from my recent trip to Japan, because it was my first time out of the country and just an absolutely amazing experience. I would also bring the money I have saved up, in case it was necessary. I really can't think about everything I own right now, so there's probably more that I would take. I'd help my family pack our photo albums and get our dog in the car. We have so many photos, dating back to like my great-grandparents, and our doggie is just wonderful and we wouldn't be able to leave her behind. Like I said, I really can't think about it now - I think that I'd really need to be in the situation to be able to think clearly and honestly decide.

Olivia said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Alexis said...

In the past few weeks, wildfires have raged in California, destroying forests and many peoples' homes. These people have had to make difficult desicions. They have not only had to ask, but address the question, what do I value most, what would I take with me if I could only take a few things? I know I would bring my family, of course, but what else really matters? The first thing I would put in the car would be my dogs. They are one thing that could never be replaced. I also would take pictures, photo-albums and scrapbooks. This way if the worst happened, and our house was burned down, I would be able to remember it and all the memories of my childhood.

I love to read, this is why I would take my favorite and most meaningful books with me. These books might offer inspiration and hope, or at least distract me from my problems.

There wouldn't be alot of room in the car so these would probably be the only personal items I could bring. I would also bring more practical things that my family could use. I would bring all my money, which would help pay for any expenses we might have. Jewelry would also help pay for things. While choosing items to bring I believe that my family and I would focus on things that couldn't be replaced. We would focus on things like photos and pets that hold memories and are priceless.

Alexis said...

In the past few weeks, wildfires have raged in California, destroying forests and many peoples' homes. These people have had to make difficult desicions. They have not only had to ask, but address the question, what do I value most, what would I take with me if I could only take a few things? I know I would bring my family, of course, but what else really matters? The first thing I would put in the car would be my dogs. They are one thing that could never be replaced. I also would take pictures, photo-albums and scrapbooks. This way if the worst happened, and our house was burned down, I would be able to remember it and all the memories of my childhood.

I love to read, this is why I would take my favorite and most meaningful books with me. These books might offer inspiration and hope, or at least distract me from my problems.

There wouldn't be alot of room in the car so these would probably be the only personal items I could bring. I would also bring more practical things that my family could use. I would bring all my money, which would help pay for any expenses we might have. Jewelry would also help pay for things. While choosing items to bring I believe that my family and I would focus on things that couldn't be replaced. We would focus on things like photos and pets that hold memories and are priceless.

Olivia said...

During panicked times of war, one must be sure to keep their possessions close. Not all possessions, of course, but things of great importance. For me, these things would be few, but they are very dear to me. I would most definetely start with my favorite necklace--a simple necklace, with one small shard of stone in the middle. Encrusted in the stone is a heart with a cross inside of it. I found it at the beach when I was very young, and have kept it since. Next, I'd take with me a small, heart-shaped stone, the word love on its front. My grandpa gave it to me just a few months before he passed away. Next, I'd gather together a bunch of pictures that bring me wonderful memories. For instance, I'd bring as many pictures as possible of my beautiful neice Mikayla (she's so cute!), and all the pictures that I have of her late little sister, Giana Faith. Giana's memory means so much to me. She lived for a mere 53 days...and in those 53 days, she had touched so many lives and taught all those who knew her a very valuable lesson. She taught us that life is short, and dying is the day worth living for. I think that this would be a very good thing to remember in the course of war or such terrifying times as fires. And, during panicked and troubled times, one always needs a friend, so I'd have to take my favorite stuffed animal; my beautiful creamsicle colored snake. Snakes are my favorite animals, and though the one I have may be stuffed, she still is of great importance to me since my parents won't let me get a real one. But of course, if I had a real snake, I'd take her instead of my dear stuffed one. I'd also need to have the necesseties--some money, food, water, blankets, warm clothes (gloves, hat, coat), etc. Finally, I'd take books. I am not complete if I don't have at least one book with me. I'd pack it all in a middle-sized bag...not too big, so that it's hard to carry, but not so small that I can't fit everything in it.
Once I've finished packing my bag, I'd need to help my family gather up our most treasured family possessions. Firstly, we'd need to pack a quilt that hangs on the back of our fireplace in the dining room, that which was given to us by my Aunt Ursula. It has been there since I was born, and for many years before that. We'd also need to bring the old rocker that my grandfather made for us, which is nearly as old as the quilt. Again, we'd need to bring necesseties...blankets, pillows, food, water, clothes, cellphones, etc. But we'd also have to have about every scrapbook that we own, each holding different pictures with different memories. There are probably many other old trinkets in our house that my parents own and would want to bring that I don't know about.
I think that the items that I pack show that I don't really need much to be happy...just a few things that have great sentimental value. I always need someone to talk to, stuffed or not, and just the fact that its a snake shows that I like to be different (not many people like snakes, from what I've seen!) and I like some excitement in my life. Also, I always need something to read. As long as I've got these things, memories, and my conscience, I'm set.
For my family, the items that we'd pack show that we have great family value. We have many things in our household that we don't really need, but want to keep because they were given to us by a loved one or bring back good memories. I do have a lot of stuff, but I think that I'm less materialistic than my parents. They freak out if one little glitch pops up on the television or the computer. I do have many things, but a lot of what I have are things from my youth, which I'd really like to get rid of (I just have to do it!). Some of it are gifts, which I don't really need but would feel bad to get rid of them, and the rest of the stuff I have are things that I really like and want.
I hope that I will never actually have to gather up my possessions in a hurry and run, but if I do I would only bring that which I really need or is of great importance to me.

Tucci said...

If my family had to evacuate because of a wildfire I would pack up a large duffel bag. I would take the necessities like most of my clothes. Probably several sweatshirts, all of my new short-sleeve and long-sleeve shirts, most of my pants, my basketball uniform (for the memories), most of my shoes (track shoes, nice shoes, flip-flops, sneackers) because they are expensive to replace. Also I would take a pillow for the trip. I would put all of this in the center pocket. In the side pockets I would take enough toothpaste and a toothbrush to hold me over until we can by a new one. I would also pack all of my money in my room, my dog's favorite chew toy (a big fluffy green dog), my cell phone in case I get lost, my ipod to try and pass time, my digital camera with all of my important pictures of friends and trips, and my DVD of Italy and family pictures. I would take my scrapbook and my favorite children's (Goodnight Moon) because they are my important memories. Then I would probably be wearing some comfortable sweats, a blanket for sleeping in the car, and I would be wearing the wedding ring my great grandmother left for me for sentamental value. I would also be wearing my contacts so I could see until I get new ones.

I would help my family put my dog Gus in the back of our Ford Explorer. I would also put our bird in a smaller cage and take him into the car. I would pack them because they are my pets and i wouldn't be able to stand leaving them. Last I would put some food in the car to hold me over until we stop and also some food and treats for my dog and bird because it would calm them down.

Casey said...

It would be a really hard thing to choose what I would bring along with me in my bag. I would definitly make sure that I had my cell phone and camera in my bag. If I didnt have my camera I would loose alot of pictures. The other problem would be though that if I didnt bring my computer I would loose like all of my pictures anyway so if there was room and time then I would try to fit my computer in the car too. Actually I would try to grab all the pictures in my house because thats my childhood, and all the videos that we recorded. In my bag I would also grab some clothes because if I had no clothes that would not be good. I also have all my money in a bag, I would grab that. A couple years ago my Grandma died of breast cancer and I have some things that were hers and stuff that she gave me and I would absolutely make sure that I had all of her stuff. Also i would make sure that my puppie was in the car. Obviously my family would be important to have too!

lionsandgods said...

I haven't put a lot of thought into this ever, considering we live in Upstate New York (it may be boring, but at least it's... a bit safe). I think first, I would pack up a lot of my notebooks because I seem to like writing anytime at all. I have these two little, stuffed dinosaurs (suprise, surprise Ms. Gaboury!) that I stole from my brother's closet when I was 7. I named them after these two kids I knew once (Mike and Kyle), even though the dinosaurs are blue and... fuscia. They mean a lot to me because (if I can remember correctly) they came from my grandma who died a while ago. A lot of our stuffed animals came from her. I would pack my mp3 player and (some, since I have a lot) of my all time favorite CDs. I would bring my favorite books (SO I CAN READ IN THE CAR!) and some pictures. For clothing, I would probably bring my favorite long sleeve (my To Write Love On Her Arms deon), a few favorite t-shirts, a few hoodies, jeans, and my Vans (penguins, bats and checkerboard). Obviously, I have to bring my Batman sheets and my pillows (and my Roger Doom Bunny from my Uncle Bob).

I would help my parents load up our miniture poodle, Tassu, his treats and food and my mother's quilts, along with my... mother's... mother's quilts. They would probably want to bring their books and clothes as well, along with making sure I had all my hiegene things and make sure I had all of my medication (four asthma meds, one allergy med, one vitamin... oh yeah, I'm very medicated), which is kind of why we have parents around. We would bring family pictures and (try) to load some of my brother's things, since he's in college and we're... well, not.

Colleen! said...

If I was in a situation where i had to evacuate my home, I would first go and grab lots of family pictures and put them into some type of bag. Then I would put it in my car. Then I would go into my room and take all my clothes and put them into a garbage bag. I would then take my laptop and put it in my laptop case along with the computer car charger. I would take my cell phone/car charger. I would then take my camera and batteries. Then I would take all my shoes and put them into the same bag as my clothes. I would then take my bag out to the car and put it in the compartments under the floor of the car, so it takes up no real space in the car. With me I would have a pillow and a blanket. After, I would help my family put the cartop carrier on, and then I would help them fill it with whatever they need. I would fill it with some food. I don't know what else I would take but I would help out the family in taking whatever they need or want.

Peter said...

If I ever had to leave my home, I would be quick to take a few special things. First of all, I would take my CD player, all my CD's, and a ton of batteries. Music is my life, and I wouldn't be able to get by without it. Next, I would rush to get my Cat, and his food. I couldn't let my cat perish under whatever horrible circumstances have occered because he means so much to our family. Knowing that he did'nt make it would be the worst feeling.
Next I would gather all my necesities. Food, water, blankets, and various medicines. Then my dad and I would have to contemplate which of our many guitars to bring. Both of us play guitar, and in bringing one would provide us with better morale throughout the journey to come.
Obviously we would have to put the guitar in the trunk of the car. Scratch that, because now Ive been informed that we can use one of those cool bubble things on the top of the car. In that case, we would bring a second guitar so we could play together.
Now I would locate my cell phone and charger, so that we could make contact with other people, and make sure our family is alright. I would find all the pictures of my friends that I could, incase I never get the chance to see them again. Then I would gather family heir looms of all sorts to keep the family tradition going. I would be sure to take my baptismal necklace, because it represents to me my religion. Speaking of which, I would take the Bible, and as many other novels I could find.
Finally, I would take a few changes of clothing, so I'm not absolutly disgusting.
Again, I hope I never have to do this. fsldfjklsfjklsdfjklsdjfklsdjfsdjgoirgiopweu Creative enough for you Gabs?

Anonymous said...

If an emergency were to occur and I only had a 1/2 hour to evacuate i w ould bring a few things. One thing i would make sure i had was a blanket. You never know where going to be sleeping and what not. Another thing i would bring in a bag would be some clothes. I mean seriously people your going to need some clothes sometime within your life. I would also bring my laptop. I would bring this because it will be useful to use and communicate with people and to help find things out.
My family would also bring things too. My mom would bring the dog and knowing her probably thr photo albums and food. she would do this because she is like obsesed with my dog, sometimes i think she likes the dog more than me=]. She would bring the photo albums because she loves them and its all of her memorys of us from when we cant even rememeber. My dad would bring a gun. Not that hes going to shoot anyone but he is like one of those hunting guys and would bring one at least. My dad would also bring his cell phone. thats how he comunicates with the world. my brother would bring his baseball stuff. Baseball is like seriously his life. He would also bring his video game hand thing. that would shut him up for a while at least.
If i was put into a situation like california is stuck in roght now im sure that everyone would be totaly stressed and quite nervious but i think after we evacuated the house we would be like OMG I FORGOT _____!!!! and then someone else wouls say to late the house is gone. i think thats the worst part odf all. Knowing that your house is being burt down and everything that you once had is now gone except for the litttle that you could pack into the car. I just hope that the people in calafornia will be ok and there lives will hopefuly be good once again in the near future.

Neil said...

In light of certain events, aka the Californian wildfires, i feel obligated to post a comment on this post. In this climate and time of year, i would probably put on some heavy sweat pants and sweat shirts, since its only going to get colder. I would also put on a heavy coat, for later occasions. My coonskin/russian hat, highly acclaimed as being capable of heating me with no other warm clothes on, would also be placed atop my head.
Into my bag i would place my copy of "The Hitchhiker's Guide to The Galaxy", capable of entertaining me for hours upon end. There would be no way that i could leave anywhere without it, its practically a mini god. I would also bring my towel, the thing with which no hitchhiker can survive as well as several large jars of peanut butter. This may seem to be strange to you but peanut butter is jam-packed with lots of nutrients and protein, as well as potassium. It also keeps for a very long time. A few batteries and at least one penny would be neccesary for wilderness survival because by putting the same battery ends together one can start a good fire from the acid. That would probably be all that i would take with me.
Into the car i would put my five dogs as well as my four cats, quite a feat. In the rest of the space would go at least three tarps, to keep warm under in the car, and some non-perishable foodstuffs. By using the tarps to keep warm, you can leave the car off, saving on what will be preciuos gasoline. potable water is also necessary for surival. That would probaly be all that my family would take, to travel lightly. Well thats all.
Neil signing off.

lindsey sullivan said...

I typed all of this blog response on a blank word document that I will hand to you on Tuesday. Enjoy your weekend!! Enjoy your babies!!

Katie S. said...

I would be a mess if I had to evacuate my house. I love my house and everything in it. Most of the things in my house are items that could easily be replaced but my house is comforting.
I would definatly bring my cell phone and I would make sure every one else had their cells so we could all stay in touch if we got separated. I would bring a bunch of warm clothes so I could stay warm because lately it has been getting chilly outside. And I would bring nessesary things such as my contacts and glasses, deoderant and anything else that would be needed. I would also bring pictures and momentos that couldnt be replaced because things like that mean a lot to me. I have a memory box with little things from when I was little so I would probably grab that. Then i would bring blankets and pillows, and maybe sleeping bags if I had time, so we could be as comfortable as possible. Then I would get non perishable food and water to keep in the car. I would also need to get my 5 dogs into the car(which wouldnt be that fun because we only have a small SUV and 3 of the dogs are quite large)The dogs mean so muchto all of us so we couldnt leave without any of them. I think that is all I would bring but I would most likely forget a bunch of things if I had to do it all really fast.

Tyler said...

Well, since Ms. Gaboury has been pushing for us to read other people's posts, I decided what the heck.
I must say that there seems to be a trend. Many people pick their pet as their first choice, followed by a sentimental item, and then expensive stuff that you can sell (mostly entertainment stuff).
Then again, there are those conspicuous things that people said they would do, like Robert's diving through flames to retrieve the ever-important English 9 Honors schoolwork or Matt's choosing weapons dedicated to ancient Norse mythology. By the way, Matt, Couldn't you have come up with a better story than that you got them at camp? Like you stole them in a heist from a historical museum/terrorist base, or something?.
Also, to Neil - You are the only person I know who would bring Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy, a coonskin hat, and a bunch of peanutbutter in an evacuation situation. I mean for God's sakes, what about money? Electronics that can be sold for money? Fake rolex watches that you can sell to suckas?
Anyway, I thought this wasn't a very fun assignment because it forced us to contemplate unfortunate circumstances. Next time we should do something along the lines of "If I Had a Million Dollars" (not the song) or "What if God was One of Us" (also not the song, with "Us" being Ms. Gaboury's 2007 classes).

madelineeeeee =] said...

Oh my goodness this is going to be really hard. I've never really thought about what I would pack if we were ever forced to evacuate.
The first thing I would do is pack all of our family's home videos of my sister and I when we weer little, and of my parents many years ago (which is most of the time a scary thing =] ). Thise videos are our family's history I guess, and they are our memories. I would never want to lose them.
The second thing I would take is my cat. She is like another kid in our family, not just an animal. We love her so much and the thought of her dying in some horrible way makes me sad.
Next I would take all of my music an possibly my bari sax (if we have room). Music is the most important thing to me besides family, and I could NEVER live without it.
Any pictures I have of our family and friends ( we have like...four huge albums) will probably go in my bag. Those, lke the home videos are our memories. They could never be replaced.
I would bring a few changes of clothes so I don't smell, and a pair of sandals and sneakers (and of course socks) because I don't know where we will be going and what the conditions are like. But in that panicing moment I most likely won't be thinking about the weather. But I guess it's an important factor...
The last thing I would bring is my cell phone. I need to have some form of communication between me and my grandarents, aunts, uncles, and cousins, and my FRIENDS. Just the comfort of my familt and friends would take away the panic of this situation.
Writing this response makes me wonder. I wonder what all of the people in California did in the little time they had to pack their most important posessions. I wonder what grief they must have had to go through, and probably are going through right now. This response made me think about what means most to you in life, what you value most. It was really interesting to think about all of the different things I value, and what my family values, and how important things in our life are to us, and what we could and could not live without.

madelineeeeee =] said...

Oh yeah! Oh my goodness I forgot about all of my books. I have so many books. I would probably bring my current book, the whole Harry Potter series, the whole Series of Unfortunate Events series, and all of my children's books. We have in our storage room like...six or seven boxes full of childrens books. Those, in a way, are memories too, because every time I take one out to look at it, it brings back the memory of my mom or dad reading it to me. They always made the funny voices and were really dramatic about a turtle trying to cross the road, and little stuff like that. Those were the best times.

Holly said...

The things that I would carry...Well, I know I wouldn't have a lot of time to think about it, so these are just the things that came to mind first.

I know that I would definitely bring my Bible. I would also bring my sketchbook and pencils. I would bring my iPod because I love to listen to music: it always puts me in a good mood (especially funny songs like "ebay"). I would bring my guitar and my flute, too. The guitar is a little bit big of a thing to bring, but I could make room...I wouldn't mind carrying it. I would undoubtedly bring my camera: taking pictures and making movies are some of my favorite things to do. I would bring family photos as well- What would my mom do without those? I would bring my cowgirl hat. :)I could wear that on my head. That's not something you see every day in upstate NY and a few people might stop and stare, but I like it, so who cares? It's also special because Mamie gave it to me. It had been hers from Texas. Along with the hat, I'd bring the cowgirl boots, which I would also wear. Might as well go all out, eh?

As far as necessities go,I would bring some extra clothes and extra deodorant (the reasons for these things are obvious: stink is not good.)I would also bring a hairbrush: I personally don't think I would look good in dreads. :o...

Anonymous said...

If I had a half hour to evacuate my home then I would bring my cellphone because I would call all my friends and tell them whats going on (also I have videos and pictures that are halarious), MP3 player because I love to listen to my music, a notebook with pencils and pens to draw and write stuff. Probably the Twilight series (extreamly good book series) and all the money I have, which isn't a lot -_- I dont have any pets but if I did I would bring them. I'd bring a couple extra jeans and shirts, and my coat too.

n!na said...

Well, first of all, I'd take my iPod and my iHome. Music means a ton to me and I can not live without it. I sing all the time and listen to music 24/7 so I need it to survive. Next I'd find my photo albums from when I was a baby. Those mean a ton to me. Memories make me smile. I'd put my camera in the bag too. It's got a lot of good memories on it so far and I'm sure it can hold more. Then I'd put my three favorite outfits in there. I like them too much to let them go. I'd put my cellphone and charger in the bag. My entire life is on that thing. I wouldn't care so much if it didn't have a ton of my friends info in there. I'd but my memories box in my bag too. I have a ton of stuff in there that I love. I'm pretty sure that's all I would but in my duffle bag.
As for my dad's truck, we'd put the dogs in the back, as well as my daddy's TV. That's probably the only personal object he would want to take. He might want to take his grandmother's mirror too. It's the only thing we have of hers. Except my name. My mom would put the big box of baby pictures/momentos in the truckbed with the TV and her highschool yearbooks. She likes to look at that stuff a lot. We could probably fit in the other box of momentos we have. It's filled with stuff my grandparents gave me and my brother and other things my parents parent's gave them.

n!na said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
n!na said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Anonymous said...

The stuff i would pack on my person would be my Xbox 360, my wallet, SOME of my cloths and my pillow.

In my car my family would sit in the front area and we would take out the 3 back seats in my 15 seater van. My family would porably bring our tv's, my moms china, my moms spoons, my dads Navy uniform, family pictures, cloths and towels, some food, money deed to house, security items, weapons and our parakeet.

I would take my Xbox 360 because its awsome my mom would bring her valubles because they are passed down and are very old.

Anonymous said...

If I were to evacuate my house I would take my two dogs and my horses because they are important to me. I would also bring my riding ribbons, The photo album of me and my family when we went to disney world, and I would bring the stuffed animal that my brother gave to me when I was three.I would bring these things because they have sentimental values. In the family car I would put in extra food, water, clothes, a hairbrush, deodrant(becuase I don't want to stink), a toothbrush and some pillows and blankets. But hopefully I wouldn't have to do this any time soon!!

Dan M said...

If i had to evacuate my house because of the wildfires in California I would bring my pets ( cats). Since my family has a truck I could bring lots of my items that are important to me. A few of my items that I would bring are my iPod, just to occupy my time. I would also bring my cell phone because if something happened it would be nice to have. I would bring extra clothing and some food for the trip. I would probably bring some pictures of our house and like a football or soccer ball to play around with while we are "away".; I probably would also bring some blankets because winter is coming soon! I would DEFINATELY bring my cats with me because, well, they're my cats and they keep me company and probably would cheer me up from the sadness of having to leave our house.

Anonymous said...

The things i would take with me in a duffle bag is picture albums, my ocean sand, my ipod, my cell, some clothes and my sharks mouth.
I would take these things with me because instead of buying clothes i would have clothes so that wpuld be one less thing to buy. I would bring ocean sand with me because my grandpa had given itto me when he went to flordia and he passed away, so thats one thing i still have from him. i would also bring my cell just incase something happened and my ipod so i wouldn`t have to listen to my annoying little brother. and last but not least i would bring my sharks mouth because iv`e had that since i was little and my dad got me it.
Things my family would pack into the black jeep would be our dogs ashes, photo albums, my moms china, some of my brothers toys and some food.

Sadie said...

I've never really thought of this before, and I don't have alot of time to stop and think about it so I'll just put whatever comes to mind first.

**>IF<** =O there was a wildfire and I needed to evacuate,the first thing I'd grab would be a backpack or something I can use to carry some things in.For the nessecities I would grab a pair of clothes,possibly some food if possible,and my ipod(i cant live without my music >.> xP)

But before I grab all that I would make sure my family was safe and that I have my kitty<3,dogs,and bird =O I love them and would do anything to save them =3 They're part of my family too ya know =O

For family items,lets see....I would definatley bring my pictures(some happy memories =P).Also if I could,my and my sister's baby books.And the picture of my step grandmother who died a few years ago.

The most important thing for me though if that happened is just that my family(including my animal companions xP)were safe and sound.Without them life would be hard.I couldn't live without them.

I hope nothing like that ever happens,it's a terrible thing.I'm also worried about the people in California,it must be hard on them,and also I know some people there,I want them to be safe.

That's all I can think of right now >.< I wish we had a little more time to think about these >.<

dylan232 said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
NIrwin said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
dylan232 said...

Stuff I would put in a bag to take with me if there was a fire would be my laptop , some of my shoes , my mp3 player , and my autographed picture of Eli Manning. I would take my laptop because I go on it alot of my free time and I learn alot of stuff and I can keep in touch with people who don't live around here anymore. I would take some of my shoes because some of them are valuable so if I needed to I could sell them for some quick money and I would take them because I like them. I would take my mp3 player because I love music and it relaxes me and I couldn't live without music. I don't like Eli Manning but I would bring it with me because my uncle gave it to me and that was the last time I saw him alive so it means alot to me and it reminds me of him. things my family would bring with us if there was a fire would be my 3 dogs and 3 cats and pictures. We would take the animals because they all me alot to us and life would be dull without them. We would take family pictures because each picture has a meaning to us and good memories of the past.

-Dylan Klein

NIrwin said...

If i had to leave my house with out warning i would take all of my animals and some food for them to last a while. then i would take some cloths,money,and some personal photos. maybe my xbox if i have room.
Some things that i would help my family pack into the car are food blankets and drinks. maybe a cage for the dog. these iteams symbolize our love of animals. the photos sympolize all the good times i have and are always fun to look at.

Jake Wicks said...

First thing i would take with me would prolly be any food tht i could find that was light in weight and my autographed football, cuz its signed by brandon jacobs, deihl and Jered Lorenzen. And i would also grab the hat my late greatgrandfather gave me when i was little because its the only thing for me to remember him by. Anothter thing i would bring is my dog bella and that would be because she is the best puppy to live. And shes mine. I would also take the build a bear monkey i own because it looks like my dad in army camo and i got it during the period that my father was stationed over seas. I would also grab my iPod because i know many people would say thew same thing but my iPod has all the songs that i think together make up my likes dislikes and personality. Unfortunately i cant think very well and i need to think about my project so this is all i could write.

Dan Webb said...

If i was forced to leave my house i would bring my most valuable possessions. The first thing I would bring is my money and all of the smallest iteams but the most valuable like a necklace or a braclet, something like that. Then i would bring my pets, i would "throw" them in the back of the seat. I only have 1 cat which can stay there because he is old and i dont have the room for him but i do have room for my two dogs, my puppy which is a Beagle and my Basset-hound. Then if i still had time i would take a suit case and i would put all of my clothes that i could fit in it, then if there is any room left then i would try too bring my picture albums and or pictures in frames if any. Then i would try to fit any thing that is reasonable to try to fit in the trunk then i would help my family to do the same by looking for the stuff that i know that they really care about while they try to remeber what they want to really bring. This would probly take a while cosidering the amount of time and what you think is very valuable. So there is not time limit to try to evacuate your house that is most likely find memorable memories.

Shannon said...

If i ever had to evactuate my house, and only bring things that i could carry, i would only bring a few reallyyy important things.
i would probably bring my grand mothers ring and the matching necklaces that we bought. Also i would bring my poohbear blanket, becuase my godmother gave it to me as my first real blanket when i was born, and i loved it soo much, its was so important to me, and its still is. Another thing that i would bring would be my (i know its kind of childish but,) stuffed puppy that my grandmother bought me. I named him puppy, haha, and i sleep with him everynight, reminding me of my grandmother. I think that i would also bring my converse box full of notes from algonquin, and ripped out diray entries from when i was little. I would bring my sketch book and a pencil, and my two photoambums full of pictures of me and my friends, family, grandmother, and other important things. If you couldnt tell my grandmother was extreamlyyy important to me, and when she passed away i wanted to keep all of the things that she gave me, and all of the things that were hers, but the house burned down, along with everything inside of it. So the things that i do have that were hers are very important to me.
I would put all of this inside of my baby slue adidas duffle bag, so i could fit everything inside. i might also bring a few pairs of pants, shirts, undies (haha), and a pair of shoes. I would alost bring my eyeliner, cell phone, and my ipod. The part of my personality that these items symbolize would probably be my sensitive side, and my matericalist side. Bringing my grandmothers old things would show my sensitive side becuase it shows that i miss her and that i care about her things. Bringing my clothes would bring out my matericalistic side because i love my clothes, i would only bring my favorite shirt, or a clothing item that has some signifance to me. I would want to bring my eyeliner, because, well i havent gone a day wiht out it since the 5th grade. I would want to bring my cell phone in case of emergency, and my ipod to keep my sane.

My family vehical is a pickup truch, so there would be more room for my family's belongings. I think that i would help my family to bring my 2 dogs, and my cat. My mom would bring all of her photo albums that are sperated into two boxes. She would also want to bring all of the homevideos from when my grandmother was still alive, and from when i was a little kid, and some from when i was a baby. She would probably want to bring all of her old jurnals, and poems, and also the only things that she has left of my grandmother. My dad would just want to bring his fathers old cameras, his some of the things that he made durring his highschool years. Becuase i have a sister who cant really rbing anything, i think that my mom and dad would just rbing her diaperbag, packed with diapers, whipes, warm clothes, toys, and a sucky. that is everything that would keep her happy, which would make the rest of us happy.

Brittany said...

If I ever had to leave my house quick I would probually bring things that mean alot to me. The first thing I would probually bring would be photo albums. I would also bring food and water for me and everyone in my family. Then I wold pack clothes and more of warm clothes than shortsleeves because when you are cold it is harder to get warm and if you were hot you could wear layers and take off a sweatshirt.I would also bring a journal and pencil because I would probually get bored and I could write or draw in the journal. I would also bring things that people gave me in my family that had died so i can remember them. Then I would also bring my ipod to keep me occupied during the long car ride. Then I would also bring my labtop because i could use it for entertainment and to charge my ipod. I would also bring my phone in case of a emergency. Two other things I would bring for myself would be my blanket that I had since I was little ,I sleep with it everynight and this bear I got when I was little too. It means alot too me because ever since I got it I put it on my bed everynight. It has clovers all on it too.
If I had to help my family pack I would bring my 2 dogs, my cat and my guinea pig. Then I would bring extra blankets and pillows for my family in the car to stay warm. i would also have something to keep each family member occupied which would be a book for my mom and stepfather, then my little sister's video game and mp3 player for her.Then like i said before my ipod for me. I would also make sure they all had one of their favorite items with them. Then I would make sure all my family had clothes and my animals had food and water.

Kyle G said...

If there was ever a need for an evacuation of my home I am certain I would grab some of my most prized possesions. I would grab the antiques weapons my grandpa gave me, as well as the antique gold clock which was given to my mom as a wedding present. Those items mean a lot to me, and can never be replaced. I would grab a pair of clothes, and all other valuables are not that important to bring.

To help my family I would bring my dog and two cats in the car. With us I bring cat food, and enough food to fill up our trunk (especially water). I would also bring blankets, flashlights, and the important documents of the family that could not be easily replaced. I would also make sure my mom's and sisters prized possesions also made it with us.

If a situation like this were to occur, our pride, and dignity to know that we made it through would be very important to us. Possesions can be replaced, but family, and pride can not. The items in which I would save would shine light on these values, and tell a new story/meaning when things returned to normal.