Wednesday, April 23, 2008

Bullying

In Jerry Spinelli's Stargirl, the main character, Stargirl, is eccentric, kind and courageous. She had been homeschooled for her primary schooling, so when she decided to go to a public highschool for her secondary edu, she had a lot to learn, not only intelectually, but socially as well. She doesn't understand or care for stereotypes or trends, and her peers love her for this and her kindness, at first. She doesn't judge anyone, just accepts them for who they are. In fact she even started a few trends by just being herself. However, the other students began to dislike her unconditional kindness, and open-minded attitude. Soon they begin to dislike, and even hate her for it, she tries not to change, but eventually she gives into the pressure and bullying, and conforms. In the end, when she can no longer stand conforming, and going against her true nature, she returns to her old ways, despite the fact that no one will even talk to her (with a few exceptions).



I think when Stargirl first arrvies at the highschool she represents innocence, and naiveness, but as she is exposed to the cruel public highschool students they slowly try to corrupt and bully her into becoming like everyone else. She manages to do what many have been unable to do, resist the bullying, and continue to be exactly who she is. I think it is difficult not to admire her, not only does she resist peer pressure and bullying, but she is incredibly kind and opened minded. I would love to be like that, and I do try to be openminded and kind, and resist peer pressure, but it doesn't always work out so well. I think she is free to be herself, despite what anyone thinks of her, a quality anyone can admire.


I'm doing th day of silence this year, however, I do have some conflicting feelings about it. We're supposed to be raising awareness about bullying by doing it, but I don't see how being silent is going to help. We should have a day where a bunch of people dress up super crazy and just talk about how bullying affects the victims. This way, people who didn't know or care about other people being bullied might at least be aware of the reprecussions. By being silent, we can't possibly inform as many people than if we were talking about bullying. I'm doing it this year because I think it that the project has good intentions, even though I think that there are better ways to inform people.

No comments: