So I guess I'm pretty hypocritical for acting all righteous about saving the planet and then forgetting that yesterday was Earth Day. Oh, well. Forgive me. Putting that aside, I do try to preserve the environment in the ways that I can, though maybe not always in the obvious ways. One of the big issues with our Earth is overconsumption -- not even necessarily of fuel, but of other resources as well. We're draining our planet of life with our overproduction of, um, products and our constant sapping of its fruitfulness and energy. So I try to limit the amount of materials I consume, or limit the amount of earth-unfriendly materials: I don't buy in excess -- for example, I don't buy many more clothes than I need; My family shops at the Food Co-op and we buy our things organic whenever possible; we recycle paper and cans and buy recycled paper products, too, sometimes. Also, many people are not aware of this, but producing MEAT takes a HUGE amount of energy.
***YES, THAT'S RIGHT, PETER KELLER, BEING VEGETARIAN ACTUALLY DOES HELP STOP GLOBAL WARMING!***
Sorry, that's been bugging me for a while. And my mom is vegan too, which means she tries not to eat any animal products at all, like dairy or eggs or milk protein! For anyone who was wondering, being vegetarian is TOTALLY easy and soy/tofu is REALLY, REALLY YUMMY. And every little bit makes a difference, and the average vegetarian saves 98 animals a year in addition to eating healthier and saving the planet. Additionally, it is a TOTAL MYTH that you can't eat a balanced diet if you're vegetarian. PETER KELLER!!!! I hope you're reading this.
Anyway...I hope to live my life very earth-consciously, and I try to currently. I am constantly nagging my little brother to turn off lights when he exits his bedroom. (Pet peeve.) I would like to add that my parents are extremely wonderful about this whole save-the-planet-and-act-conscious thing. They rock. :-) So, in conclusion, I hope to treat every day of my life like Earth Day, continue my Earthophilic actions and expand on them.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment