Friday, April 25, 2008
Pastromi and Rye
The day of silence. I have my own complicated veiws on this day that I'm not going to get to in depth, but let me summaraize my beliefs briefly. I completely support homosexuals, transexuals, and all other people who are abused, but I believe that there are faults in this day, and serious fault in those who stayed home today to protest homosexuality. But anyway. The topic of someone standing up for an underdog makes me think of a scene from Bridge to Terabithia. World Renowned school bully Gary Fulcher was making fun of new student Leslie Burke. He was telling her that she couldn't run in the race, and was extremely demeaning, but then Jess Aarons came to her rescue, asking "You aren't scared to race against a girl, are you?" Well then Gary concedes and let her race. Jess's kindness causes him to lose the race. This shows that he sacrificed a victory for someone who at this point wasn't a friend, but someone who was being tormented by her peers. I try to stand up for the little guy, or at least I like to think I do, but it's hard, and noone can honestly say that they do it all the time. But if we make a consious effort to stand up for the bullied, abused, or whatever, the world will be a better place.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment