Wednesday, April 23, 2008

Wake up. You're alive. We're on your side.

Last year, after graduation, our counselor walked up to me and said, "I can picture you becoming a lawyer and bringing up the underdog." And I just looked at her like she was crazy. I could see where she was coming from, because I do tend to bring up the underdog, but... no politics for me!

That was pretty random.

I adore Day of Silence. It's a time to really be courageous as a group of individuals who want to state a point. I hate when people use "gay" as a derogatory term. Like it's evil or bad that you're the way you are. You're human. People are made differently. People like different things, hate different things. But we're all people, aren't we? Sure, we can all have different views... but people shouldn't be prosecuted for things beyond their control. They shouldn't be prosecuted because they feel differently than you. Gay should only be used in two ways--the old school way to say HAPPY or to describe someone's sexuality.

You can put us down if it's only one of us standing up to you... but what are you going to do when it's a whole group? It evens out the numbers.

NO ONE should be harassed because of their feelings or beliefs. I am an athiest. I'm straight. I like purple. I have friends that believe in God more than they believe in themselves. I know so many people that struggle with the hardships of being put down for being gay/bisexual/lesbian, what have you. I have friends that think purple is ugly. Don't put other people down just because they don't think the way you do.

My rant is done. :]

--

Jamie Tworkowski, who started To Write Love On Her Arms has inspired me in so many ways and forms. He started a non-profit organization for a girl who was struggling with drug addiction and depression. He wrote a story (which can be viewed at http://www.twloha.com/the_story.php ...but it's some pretty heavy stuff so just take a deep breath if you want to read it) about the girl and they made t-shirts to help her through rehab. It suddenly turned into a movement of anti suicide and hope.

Jamie has helped me overcome my sadness and stand up for what I believe in. I'm not saying this to make everyone think that suicide and harassment are the same thing... but he has become such a role model for people like me that always wanted to stand up for what I believe in... and just didn't know how. The first step is AWARENESS. Once you get enough people together, you can move on from there.

I don't believe in everything Jamie says... he talks about God a lot and I am more of a FATE and KHARMA believer, but a lot of what he says can apply to anyone.

Part of his story:
..."The stars are always there but we miss them in the dirt and clouds. We miss them in the storms. Tell them to remember hope. We have hope."

I have watched life come back to her, and it has been a privilege. When our time with her began, someone suggested shifts but that is the language of business. Love is something better. I have been challenged and changed, reminded that love is that simple answer to so many of our hardest questions. Don Miller says we're called to hold our hands against the wounds of a broken world, to stop the bleeding. I agree so greatly.

No comments: