Wednesday, April 23, 2008

Earth Day

This Earth Day I couldn't really do anything to help because I was at a track meet in Ballston Lake, blah blah blah. My dad and I were planning on walking down the road collecting garbage. But I was in Ballston Lake, blah blah blah, so I couldn't help him.Over the past years my brother and I have planted trees and flowers and plants and such. Of course with my mother, the gardner, we plant things CONSTANLY .. everywhere.
During the winter my family uses our wood stove [ thank godness we have one ] instead of using the oil and furnace for all our heat. Though this does use wood which cuts down trees, our house doesn't consume as much oil as other families may. Also the person we get our wood from replants trees after he cuts them down which renews the Earth of her natural resources.
Even though my famuly has three cars [ mom's, dad's, brother's ], we tend to car pool as much as possible.
Also, my family is a member of a CSA. That's a Community Supported Agraculture. We get fresh vegtables [lettuce,tomatoes,potatoes,carrots,etc.], beautiful flowers [mostly wild, but very pretty], and fresh cut meat [bacon,pork,chicken,turkeys]. All from on farm we get all this amazing food. This helps cut the cost of foods items [the supermarket is MUCH more expensive and has less than equal products] and the amount of traveling being done [ the farm is much closer].
Also within our house all the lightbulbs are FLUERECENT !!! YAY ! These bulbs use a lot less energy and are brighter.

I think everyone does a little for the Earth. Even if they don't mean to, or know so.

No comments: