Saturday, April 26, 2008

I am careful with how I address this subject. To often, opinions get out of control and what we like to think of as passionate is more accurately defined as emotional.

I respectfully disagree with you, Mrs. Gaboury. Going on the Day of Silence site, it proved to me that this was a day set apart to support homesexuals, transgenders etc. It may be cloked as a day to support all those made fun of, but taking a good look at this ite quickly proves otherwise.

I am completely against the abuse and harrasment of gay, lesbian or transgender people. It is not at all the correct way to address the situation! I cannot, however, take part in this day. No matter how they dress it up, they're asking for people to support homosexuality in our country. I don't support that.

Aside from this matter, standing up for the underdog is often an awesome thing to do!! I am kind of copying your example, Mrs. Gaboury, but only because I think it's usch an awesome one and it keeps coming to mine. Atticus Finch from to Kill a Mokingbird stood up for the underest of underdogs (yes, I said 'underest'). The interesting thing about Atticus is that he doesn't win the fight. Tom Robinson is shot. This only makes what Atticus did even more valuable. So often we hear stories of people valantly standing up for the underdog and winning and gaining much glory and honor. Atticus truly was working for the underdog; not just for glory.

When people stand up for the underdog, at the time they are often looked down on by people around them. It's kind of expected. However, usually later when people look back, that person is greatly admired.

I guess my point is that people like Atticus who stand up for the underdog can't do it for glory. They have to honestly believe in and care about what they're standing up for. People like this are rare but very worthy of much honor when they are genuine.

2 comments:

V. Gaboury said...

Powerful conclusion, Emily. Cudos!

V. Gaboury said...

Powerful conclusion, Emily. Cudos!